• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Attack clutching

Turk

Tech Advisor
OK troops....this is after mediocre testing on crappy snow & not the usual test amount I like to have but I found some mid-range gains
48 gram HH,s.
1/4 allen in heel
4.2 gram steel bolt & 2 thin washers in 1st hole(5grams)
4.2 gram bolt in tip
48/40 advant-edge helix
Stock white spring at 60 wrap

Clutch temps were smoking hot with stock & aftermarket clutching after 4 back to back runs(1000+')...this is usual.
I lost at least 4 mph in 1000' using any other secondary(other then stock white) spring including silver at 80,
I only hit just over 10k rpm with stock clutching...same top speed as hh,s hitting10,400 rpm but hh,s got there quicker.
I will play with stock clutching more. I will slightly drill out stock rivets to raise rpm,s to see if I can get quicker ET,s in 1000'..mph was great tho.
You will see better gains with this clutching running studs.

OK, Why doesn't yamaha provide roller 2ndary clutch stock?
A Ditch pickle buddy of mine told me Cat has provided rollar 2ndary since 1998. That's 8 years now! :o|

This was not a roller...this was using his billet helix. Roller specs to follow if I get the time & snow conditions.

I knew this was coming.....sled had quicker ET,s to distance measured therefore it was faster in the measured distance. MPH was similar. This is all before real hard core testing due to dismall snowfall. More tests to follow as conditions permit. I am giving out this info at no charge to make your sled quicker. Go buy componenets form your best deal.

Turk, Do you think wrapping the silver spring at 90 or 100 would be better than the white spring or are you not a fan of wrapping secondary's that high.Also on my RX1 the belt temps seemed to get cooler when I used a 3/4 and a 1/4 set screw in the heel of the heavy hitters.Thanks for your unbiased and truthfull reports.

Thanks Turk! For what it's worth we had agood selection of sleds out on the old air strip today. I took my Attak in pure stock form. The only changes that I made all day was to the secondary spring tensions. Ran about 1200'-1400' runs. Started out at the stk 3-3 pos neck and neck with a "very good" running f-7 ( was quicker than any of the other F-7's there). Softened the spring tension to 1-6, it appeared to hole shot better but lost a couple of MPH on the topside. Retensioned to 2-6 and gained 1-2 MPH from the stock setting of 3-3. Not sure if I'd trail ride it that tight, but in that distance it was better!

Bodacious, You're off in your thinking.. When going from 3-3 to 1-6 you actually tightened it up, and going to3-2, actually loosened it up.. But good information with results.. Chad

yamadooman said:
Bodacious, You're off in your thinking.. When going from 3-3 to 1-6 you actually tightened it up, and going to3-2, actually loosened it up.. But good information with results.. Chad
Thanks, I was taken notes on the snow of the suburban hood (no pen/paper with me) my bad! ........but I guess you understood what I was trying to convey! It seemed as though it ran the hardest (best pull) at 10700-10800. Maybe a 50/40 helix would be worth while to try?

Turk - have you had any luck improving the clutching while using the stock weights?

Thanks

Bill

Back