• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Attak/Apex Secondary Clutch Help

sxmatt

Pro
I was setting up my clutches last night and noticed a couple things. First there is A LOT of freeplay in the secondary, not side to side but rotating. It almost rotates an 1/8 turn before it seems to take out the slack in the chain. I DID check the chain tension and it is set correctly. Has anyone notice this on their sleds and is it normal and why does it freely rotate this much. None of my other 2 stroke yamahas had this much play.

Second. There is an area on the secondary clutch that is about 2 in by 2 in that has some significant pitting in the sheave. I am sure it was a casting issue since the sled has zero miles on it. Some of the pits are about 1 mm in width and most are smaller. Any concerns about strenght of clutch since there are possibly areas deeper in the clutch, or any other concerns. I am not that worried about any abnormal belt wear with the surface being the way it is.

Thanks, and Happy Thanksgiving.

Matt
;)!

The play you speak of is between the drive cogs and the track!

IS the pitting on the face of the sheave where it touches the belt? IF so i would contact your dealer and see about an replacement as it could cause wear on your belt!

Hope this helps...

BRIAN

Weltracer

It is not the freeplay in the drive cogs. They will not begin to turn until the freeplay in the chaincase is taken up. That was one of the first things I thought of in addition a possibly very loose chain, but it is neither.

If you or anyone else would please check if they have the same freeplay. Just take off belt and rotate secondary while watching the drive cogs, I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Matt
;)!

On your first question; if your sled has reverse, it's normal. ;)!

The slack is in the gearbox (gearcoupling). Very nice when you brake hard and then get on the gas. Nice and loud clank when the slack is taken up... :D

the free play is just the space between the dogs on the reverse gear
perfectly normal
pitting at the very center of the sheaves is normal too as the belt wont ride that far down into it if the helix is stock

The pitting is in the upper 1/3 of the sheave. It is in an area that the belt will be running through all the time. Some of them are to deep to sand down. I have not show it to the dealer yet but I would be they will tell me not a big deal.

Matt
;)!

Like everyone, its because of the reverse gear and normal. If you did it with the chaincase off, you'd see where and why there is play.

Back