• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Attak Exhaust - 2 Weld or not 2 Weld? That is the Question.

snomobubl

Extreme
Attached are photos of my 2007 Yamaha Attak exhaust/silencer assembly. Notice the hole in the system where the 2 pipes reduce to a single pipe before the muffler.

Looking for advice from others that have had similar issue. Can this be welded up? What is the material? Will a weld hold up here? Or am I better off looking for a used silencer assembly?

I am in the western burbs of Chicago (Batavia IL). Can anybody recommend a good welder?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Yamaha Attak Exhaust Hole.jpg
    Yamaha Attak Exhaust Hole.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 137
  • Yamaha Attak Exhaust.jpg
    Yamaha Attak Exhaust.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 153

I just had my y pipe welded. 110 miles yesteday and it hasn't failed yet.

Thats not a hole! Its missing an entire section.
You may want to shape the metal a little bit to match the other side. Exhaust systems are tuned and the collectors are important part of that.
Never seen that before.

Here's mine from last winter. Looks even worse than yours that must be the weak spot. I thought no way this can be repaired. Forty bucks to fix and after 1000 miles it's still holding.
Also my mount bolts were loose for the y-pipes and I feel like that may have caused mine to break. Checked them again this year after locktighting them and they were loose again.

Attachments

• SDC13093.jpg
    SDC13093.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 139
AK Yammy - looks like nearly identical break as mine

AK Yammy - which bolts are you referring to that were loose? 5mm Allen bolts up front under the round rubber plugs? OR the 12mm hex bolts further back under the oval rubber plugs?

Thanks!

it can be welded it is made of stainless steel and is a common thing i bet you have 8-10k miles on that sled. find a good welder and while you are in there take apart all 4 exhaust donuts and check for wear and tighten up the exhaust from front to back.

Re: AK Yammy - looks like nearly identical break as mine

snomobubl said:
AK Yammy - which bolts are you referring to that were loose? 5mm Allen bolts up front under the round rubber plugs? OR the 12mm hex bolts further back under the oval rubber plugs?

Thanks!
5 mils only first time and all 4 this last time. Pm'd ya.

Getter welded and have than add a bit of reinforcing along the outside, did mine a while ago no problem at all as a matter of fact I think its stronger than new, also make sure the support bracket is good and solid as They have a habit of sheering off the aluminum rivets, replace them with steel ones when you have it apart. Use lots of hi heat never seize on all the bolts.

Back