• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Backfiring and cuts out

Boomer

Expert
Sent the sled into the shop today because I have a new problem. I thought I had fouled my plugs by leaving the choke on too long a couple weeks ago while getting ready to put it back on the trailer before heading home. I was warming it while I cleaned off the truck and after the light went off I didn't shut the choke off and eventually it just stalled out. It started right back up, but I thought I just fouled the plugs. So yesterday after I got back up north and replaced the plugs, the sled starts right up and idles fine for as long as I want, but as soon as I try and go anywhere, the sled will move about 3 feet at @ 4000RPM's then just cut out and if I try feathering the throttle or anything it will just keep cutting out then backfire really LOUD!!

I'm stumped. I know I've never gotten as good as mileage as I think I should and think it probably has been running too rich, but what could be causing this? Plug pilots, exhaust donuts, too rich?

I just hope they can figure this out and get it running for the NY TY ride next Wednesday.

back fireing

sounds like your t.r.o.s is ativated. try by passing it by unpluging the switch and joining the two wires to gether. or check the throtale block the switch inside mite be frozzen. and can be thawed out with a hair dryer. ;)!

OK - So, so far it sounds like the TORS is the culprit. I'll call the shop tomorrow and ask them to check that first.

This sucks that the sled is 350 miles from my house and I'm at a strange dealers mercy.

This darn problem caused me to lose 3 days of great riding and then I had to drop it off and drive 350 miles and 8 hours in a snowstorm, to get home today.

Bet the farm on the tors. exact same thing happened to me. I couldn't even get it off the trailer! Had to ride the cat till I figured it out.

Not just that its tors, its the handlebar switch at the inside of the throttle lever. Probably a little bit of ice in the pivot preventing it from closing the switch. I had the same thing happen last week after the freezing rain fell, but I knew what it was, so it only held me up by about... 5 seconds. You just need to push on the lever in a way that forces the pin to the left harder than usual, while rocking the lever up and down. Once the ice is out of the way it will work as normal.

Definitely too bad that you brought it to the dealer for THAT.

same thing happened to me

Same thing, thought it was the tors so i unplugged it from the top of carbs like the manual says, still didn't fix. Took into dealer in Gaylord Michigan and they worked on it for 2.5 hours only to find out that the throttle position sensor on the carbs was bad. It caused the sled not to realize the tors wires were disconnected. So after a 32.00 part that looked like a small button switch with some wires coming out of it, and 230.00 for labor it fixed my problem. If this happens to be yours or anyones problem, Don't pay for labor just buy the part. It is real simple to do.

Got the sled back today, and LB you wound up being correct. Must have just been some ice in the flipper or something. Shop said they just warmed it up and checked it over and there was nothing wrong with it. That is the last time I ever leave it outside without covering up. From now on back on the trailer it goes.

Wound up costing me only $25.00, so as far as Im concerned that is worth it just for the storage costs alone. If I had dragged the trailer and sled all the way back to PA, the added tolls and gas would have probably cost more.

Back