• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Backfiring winder!

PowderFalcon

Pinnin' it!
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2021 Sidewinder SRX
Hey guys,

Has any of you experienced this??

Cruising along on the trail, Steady speed, just shredding white nectar, hangin off the side rippin corners... start coasting to the stop sign with a big smile on my face as look back and have completely lost my buddy on his scooby doo, then ... POW!!! Big ole back fire!

What the heck is that about?! Scared the bajesus out of my the first few times.

It happens more often than not actually. Almost predictable after a good session of sendin’ it!

Should I be worried? Or does it just my sled telling me I’m the frickin man and no other brand can hang with me!

Anyone else experience this? Seriously tho. What’s up with that!

Without seeing/hearing sled, seems like exhaust stream is rich with unburned fuel which then gets into exhaust pipe and muffler. When there is enough oxygen, boom, it explodes. Either your tune is too rich (lots of unburned fuel in exhaust system), or as Ramsoair and Pstnhead said, I'd be suspicious of a crack or loose exhaust connection (both of which allow air to enter the exhaust system). Need to check exhaust manifold nuts on cylinder head, the clamps that connect exhaust manifold to middle pipe, and the clamp that connects middle pipe to turbo. I've heard of a few exhaust manifold cracks so check very carefully around the 3 runners where they join into the collector. Somehow, O2 is getting into exhaust system. IF there is no air, even unburned fuel will not light (or explode). Can you tell where the backfire is? Is in muffler, at muffler outlet, or inside exhaust system?

My hose clamp came loose from mid pipe to turbo and it would backfire but I also heard it get louder and black soot all around the leak

I posted on FB too but mine does this exact thing, maybe while I have zero snow locally I will check the crossover again. I checked it this fall but I may have missed something.

I have a precision efi 30hp tune and mine does this exact thing. Seemed to start after the tune was installed.

Without seeing/hearing sled, seems like exhaust stream is rich with unburned fuel which then gets into exhaust pipe and muffler. When there is enough oxygen, boom, it explodes. Either your tune is too rich (lots of unburned fuel in exhaust system), or as Ramsoair and Pstnhead said, I'd be suspicious of a crack or loose exhaust connection (both of which allow air to enter the exhaust system). Need to check exhaust manifold nuts on cylinder head, the clamps that connect exhaust manifold to middle pipe, and the clamp that connects middle pipe to turbo. I've heard of a few exhaust manifold cracks so check very carefully around the 3 runners where they join into the collector. Somehow, O2 is getting into exhaust system. IF there is no air, even unburned fuel will not light (or explode). Can you tell where the backfire is? Is in muffler, at muffler outlet, or inside exhaust system?

thanks, i will check those items you mentioned.

I haven't isolated where its coming from. I can tell you the lower panel is very black and i clean it with a magic eraser every few rides. so i guess that would be telling of unburned fuel

Hey guys,

Has any of you experienced this??

Cruising along on the trail, Steady speed, just shredding white nectar, hangin off the side rippin corners... start coasting to the stop sign with a big smile on my face as look back and have completely lost my buddy on his scooby doo, then ... POW!!! Big ole back fire!

What the heck is that about?! Scared the bajesus out of my the first few times.

It happens more often than not actually. Almost predictable after a good session of sendin’ it!

Should I be worried? Or does it just my sled telling me I’m the frickin man and no other brand can hang with me!

Anyone else experience this? Seriously tho. What’s up with that!
One way to avoid having this happen is to hold the throttle slightly open while decelerating.

Maybe want to try some new fuel as well. My 1000 Outlander backfires once in a while after a good run and letting the throttle go to decelerate. Recently added premium to it and the problem seems to have gone away. Have checked for exhaust leaks and found none. Just food for thought.

Maybe want to try some new fuel as well. My 1000 Outlander backfires once in a while after a good run and letting the throttle go to decelerate. Recently added premium to it and the problem seems to have gone away. Have checked for exhaust leaks and found none. Just food for thought.

I was thinking fuel too. Ran 3 tanks of fresh through it now. Maybe I’ll add some Lucas to the next tank

Mine does it to when riding aggressively or fast trails . Did it in New Brunswick & Hearst to me , it wasn’t the exhaust . It’s must be gas , everytime I fill up at Esso in Hamilton never have a problem with it .

Back