• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Bad starter, got to pull engine

No Prob. Thanks for the input.

I was able to finally get my starter motor out of my 2009 Vector . What a pain but with the info on this forum it was easier. So the starter smells like burnt wires . When I opened it up it was full of oil ! It looks like the seal on the starter shaft was worn out. Does that make any sense to you guys ? I'm new to the four stroke sleds . Any help is appreciated before I put it all back together. Mark

I was able to finally get my starter motor out of my 2009 Vector . What a pain but with the info on this forum it was easier. So the starter smells like burnt wires . When I opened it up it was full of oil ! It looks like the seal on the starter shaft was worn out. Does that make any sense to you guys ? I'm new to the four stroke sleds . Any help is appreciated before I put it all back together. Mark
Hey Mark, I had the same problem with my starter. Took it to a starter guy and he said not worth rebuilding. I put a new aftermarket one back in because yamaha wanted close to $500 for one, aftermarket one was around $150. The armature gear on these starters is in engine oil all the time and if your armature seal gets bad, the oil gets into the starter housing and ruins it. The starters on the old 2 strokes were much simpler to work on!

Hey Mark, I had the same problem with my starter. Took it to a starter guy and he said not worth rebuilding. I put a new aftermarket one back in because yamaha wanted close to $500 for one, aftermarket one was around $150. The armature gear on these starters is in engine oil all the time and if your armature seal gets bad, the oil gets into the starter housing and ruins it. The starters on the old 2 strokes were much simpler to work on!
Thanks for letting me know. I was worried there shouldn't be oil in the armature area. The seal appeared to be cracked in half when I took it apart. I'm concerned that if I put an aftermarket starter in it won't last long. is yours working well ? Have you used it in extreme cold starting conditions ? I don't want to change it again ! What a terrible design. Mark

I agree, terrible design. I put on about 1800 km after I put the new starter in and did start it in some really cold weather, as low -30 C, and it worked great. Keeping my fingers crossed it holds up.

I agree, terrible design. I put on about 1800 km after I put the new starter in and did start it in some really cold weather, as low -30 C, and it worked great. Keeping my fingers crossed it holds up.
Thanks Darren , I'll price out both and most likely go the aftermarket route. Mark

Back