• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

bad Starter?

Josh lotw

Veteran
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2012 Viking
I have 2012 RS Viking professional. Yesterday I tried to start it, it gave a small crank and then just clicks. I tried jumping the solenoid but couldn't get it to crank. Hooked it up to the booster, no go. Battery appears to be fine.
Is there anything I should check or should I assume its the starter? Is there someway to test the starter without pulling it? If it is the starter should i get an oem or am i fine with an aftermarket?
This sled has a little over 1000 miles on it how common of problem is this? I'm just glad it happened on the trailer and not 40 miles up the lake.

Now to go wrestle its extra large carcass into the shop.

Sounds like it, but sure shouldn't be with those low miles?
The engine is free?

yep, i can rotate it by hand. am i right in assuming that when i turn the key i should get full voltage across the relay? I dont.

yep, i can rotate it by hand. am i right in assuming that when i turn the key i should get full voltage across the relay? I dont.
If the starter is in fact bad, it will most likely draw voltage down more than normal.
Are your battery terminal bolts good and tight?

I have a 2010 RS Vector LTX GT. Same issue. Ran it around the yard with no issues. Then bam. Sled won't start. Did the same as you. Jump the solenoid, and no go. Into the garage she went and started project starter. After about 2 1/2 hours we had the starter out and it is frozen tight. I have one on order and will have it back in hopefully this weekend. Only 1370 miles on it.

is there a tutorial somewhere on this change? i finally have a starter and am ready to change it, looks like quite a job

If it's like a vector. You have a job on your hands. But can be done. On the vector we had to remove a lot of stuff to the point of almost pulling the motor. Removed the rear motor mount rod and tipped the engine forwards.

i just dove in and did it. it really wasnt too bad. i pulled the front motor mounts and tipped it back using a piece of cable and a bottle jack as id seen elsewhere on here. I weaseled it out the oil filter hole. an extra 1/4 inch would really help!
i did it in about 3 hours. not nearly as bad as I was expecting!!

Awesome. Never thought about raising the engine from the front. Did you have to remove the exhaust flanges?

no, i really didn't lift it very high either. I did have to pull the radiator out of its mount to gain a little

Back