• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Battery Life

TrueBlue

Lifetime Member
I have 2 Vectors. 1 is a 2015 & the other is a 2018 which I bought new. When I bought the 2015 Vector in Dec. of 2016 it was already was 2 years old from the factory. I am sure that the battery was not maintained during this time. I charge the batter every month during the winter with a battery tender & also charge the battery every 3rd. month during the summer. When I charge the battery it takes about 12 hrs to come to a full charge. When I charge the battery in my 2018 it will come to a full charge with in 5 hrs. Do you think that the battery in the 2015 could be going bad because it was not maintained from the beginning. I never had a problem with starting the 2015 but thought it was strange that it takes a lot longer to charge than the 2018.

I do a new battery every 3 years. Tender is on continuously in season or out.
Over kill? Probably. But the seasons too short, for me, to roll the dice.

The battery in my wife's 2013 was totally neglected; I might have charged it at the end of each season, and then again at the beginning, but that was it. I finally had to replace if before the 2018 season. So, even doing everything wrong, we got 5 seasons out of it.

i typically get 3-5 years on my 4 stroke snowmobiles, depending on abuse from rough trails. 2 stroke sleds tend to get 7-8 years but they have pull cords so i am not a picky with them. all of them have a battery tender type charger on them when i put them in storage for the off season.

I kept my nytros battery on a tender since new and got 8 seasons from it. Tested it before season 8 and it was still strong.

Some have called me crazy but I just leave them on the tender.
MS

my 2012 sits without a charger always I start it once a month in the off season and run till fully warm about 15 mins. it has the oem battery.

my 2012 sits without a charger always I start it once a month in the off season and run till fully warm about 15 mins. it has the oem battery.
Wow! :eek:
I guess if you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.;)

I also have a mini set of jumper cables I made and carry with me always. Rarely ever ride alone too. would care more if not for those facts.

I, and some of the guys that I ride with regularly, carry one of the pocket size jump starters on our sleds. There have been a couple of times on overnight trips with extreme temperatures where they have paid for themselves. The only thing I really miss about my old 2-stroke sleds was the ability to pull start them!

I, and some of the guys that I ride with regularly, carry one of the pocket size jump starters on our sleds. There have been a couple of times on overnight trips with extreme temperatures where they have paid for themselves. The only thing I really miss about my old 2-stroke sleds was the ability to pull start them!

Do you connect that packet size jump starter device to the battery or can you connect it to the pigtails that come from the battery that you connect to your battery tender.

Do you connect that packet size jump starter device to the battery or can you connect it to the pigtails that come from the battery that you connect to your battery tender.

It has alligator clamps to go direct to the battery. I don't know whether the pigtail wires from a battery tender would be large enough to carry the juice to the battery. On my Viper, pulling the seat to get to the battery is fast and easy. On my wife's Vector, the battery is buried, so there are cables from the battery for charging or jumpstarting, and I can just use the alligator clamps on them.

It has alligator clamps to go direct to the battery. I don't know whether the pigtail wires from a battery tender would be large enough to carry the juice to the battery. On my Viper, pulling the seat to get to the battery is fast and easy. On my wife's Vector, the battery is buried, so there are cables from the battery for charging or jumpstarting, and I can just use the alligator clamps on them.

I have a Vector also, so it looks like I can use the cables from the battery, which I call the pigtails for charging the battery.

I have a Vector also, so it looks like I can use the cables from the battery, which I call the pigtails for charging the battery.

I have used them for charging, and for jumpstarting. Getting access to a Vector's battery is a pain; when I needed it replaced, I just took it to the dealer.

Changed the battery because it was getting weak on my 09' Phazer last year, so 8 years. Original Battery Still on my 08' and 11' Honda ATV (same battery as Phazer) too. Never use a tender but I DO start and fully warm each machine once a month instead of "Winterize/Summerize". The only thing I but a tender on is the Pontoon since I can't start it in the winter and having 2 batteries in parallel greatly increases power drain due to "crosstalk"

If you are looking to upgrade your Phazer, MP or VL to a little more cranking power try a YTX20CH-BS been running one for years after the OEM YTX14BS packed it in. Screenshot 2020-12-16 at 8.06.58 PM.png

Back