• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Bent Valve or Piston: Sled in the Shop for Service

Monkey Boy

well last year i jumped ship came over from cat because just sick of fixing all the time so i now ride 06 attack took to dealer after brOke dOwn in UP! there saying may be bent valve or piston have not tore down yet!!
these motor are built proof they tell me! SO WHATS UP FINALLY have snow NO SLED DOWN FOR WEEKS THIS JUST LICKS BAD!! DEALER is calling yami today 1400 miles on sled

:die :moon:

Well, I can you this, that in all of Canada, since 03, the Yamaha Rep told me they could count on 1 hand how many motors went down. Something is not right....

KubotaOne said:
His 1st post. I smell something......anyone else? :hide:

That is certainly possible. But bottom line if he didnt use NOS or forced induction I wouldn't be surprised if Yamaha covers it even tho warranty may have expired. So if that is the case it is more a bump in the trail vs falling off a cliff.

Yes, this smells funny......

Mods are looking into this one

NOS-PRO said:
Yes, this smells funny......

Mods are looking into this one

I'm sure this guy is legit. God forbid any question Yamaha. I was at Mike Rielhs Yamaha last year and they had an 05 RX-1 in there with a blown motor The Rods where not torqued right. It had very low miles. It does happen Yamaha isn't perfect.

I am not saying it doesn't happen, but am looking at it thru the eyes of a person with 1 post under his belt. The mods on this site need to watch out for brandbashers that will come over to the site to start false threads, and we are on top all of them.

I pulled an Attak back to Alger Falls with a rod blown, at about the same milage last year. So, yes...things do happen.

My dads 06 rtx blew up too last year, I think im comparison to the other 3 snowmobile manufacturers yamaha probably has the least motor issues. There is always going to be mechanical issues and dud/lemon parts/units.

anything mechanical CAN fail and will,when its mass produced...its just the odds.

when you compare a few failures to litterally HUNDREDS of the other manufacturers..I would say that shows the 4 stroke and yammie has the best motors period.

I did see one here last season with a rod thru bottom of motor...saw it with my own eys...yammie covered it no problem....but we all had heard it MAY have been to bottom of a lake for a swim...so who really knows?

sure its gonna happen...but the odds are very low with a 4 stroke yammie.

dan

Well, I came over from Doo, because of engine issues, every one has them, the bigger thing is how much time lost due to repairs. Hope it all works out and your back on the snow soon.

I'm sure there is something more to this. I browsed this site for months before signing on, I haven't been a chat junkie since high school 15 years ago. i was leery of joining, mainly because I wanted to see what it was all about before I joined in the fun. Maybe this guy is like me - a long time reader, first time caller!
As far as his sled goes, the best way to eliminate the thread bashing would be to have him post a picture or two of the sled and its damage. If this can't be done, mabe the moderators should lock or remove this thread to set an example for everybody.....
I do agree that a bashing post as a new guy might not be the best angle, but if there is truth to his story, we should welcome him in, and help him through his ordeal and make him feel comfortable with the overall quality of the machines that we ride. Maybe his frustration is what pushed him here to get some opinions or feedback on his issue.
Give him his day on the soapbox Tork, but I agree to shut it down if it can't be validated.
Nate

Intelligent post there Nate!

I had heard last week, NOS may have heard it too that Cat has 12,000 unsold 06 and 07 sleds. Most of whatever sleds are sold this year is going to happen in the next few weeks. So we realize that internet Tom Foolery can happen especially when some dealers and manufacturers are desperate. Steer a few sales their way, even dishonestly, it is a small victory but a victory none the less.

That said we welcome all new members and true I myself spent days reading before I ever posted.

Bottom line is motors do fail, but I think we all agree that Yamaha has the best reliability in the business especially motor wise.

Asking the guy to post pics? I am not sure. LOL we love to catch people in the act. But a legit blown motor and make him post pics, that to me is insult to injury. Besides, not everybody owns a camera and being new may not have the hang of posting pics.

Beyond all this, we cant really help him but his dealer can.

This is all just my own personal very humble take on the situation. Some of you may have a better take on the pic request than I do.

I know of 3 blown apex motors,

Yes , the one did go for a swim , I saw it !

The next one , customer drained his oil to change it , forgot to refill !

The next one hit a rock, poked a hole in the pan , kaboom !

Back