• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Bent Valve or Piston: Sled in the Shop for Service

My Yamaha dealer said if I only buy one option for my sled it should be a Stump pan. He said that is the weak link in the motor, if you hit the bottom of the sled the motor can be damaged easy and leak oil, at the very least screw up the drain plug.

DUPPYPOG

I agree with your statement about the photo, I stand corrected.
I hate to ty to take to firm of a stand on an issue like this without really knowing what's going on. I guess we'll see if he post back here to give up some more info!
I hate to say it, but if the motor on my sled blew, sure I'd be mad, but know I wouldn't be steaming mad about it. I've blown motors in cars before that have cost 10k to build, and it always could be traced to something that you wouldn't do again!.....For some reason, I have always tried to blame myself first.
Maybe we can all get a great deal on those Cat sleds to bury in snowdrifts to make jumps!

Well, guess I'm the guy that called him out first, so I should pipe up. The reason I made the accusation so quickly was by the tone of his post. Rather than request any "assistance" or "advice" from this forum, he came across as negative and rather sarcastic. He's not asking for opinions, he's making a blunt statement - so what's the point of the post then?

So, I stand behind my initial comment - stepping down from my soapbox now.

WHY DO YOU THINK BECAUSE I AM NEW I AM A LIAR? LIKE I SAID BEFORE, I RODE CAT FOR MANY YEARS. A BUDDY I RIDE WITH IS YAMI TRUE AND TRUE. HE WOULD NEVER SHUT UP ABOUT HOW GREAT THE NEW ATTACK WAS. SO ON OUR TRIP WE STOPPED BY M&M POWERSPORTS IN HANCOCK, MI AND I TOOK ONE FOR A HOUR RIDE. POWDER, HARD-PACK, POWERLINES, ANYTHING I COULD FIND. THE NEXT DAY I WAS RIDING BLUE. ALL I CAN SAY NEVER BEEN HAPPIER. MY BUDDY ORDERED HIS THE NEXT DAY AS WELL BECAUSE HE COULDN'T BELIEVE I SWITCHED OVER SO FAST. SO IT MUST OF BEEN GREAT. I KNEW CAT LIKE THE BACK OF MY HAND. I KNOW VERY LITTLE ABOUT YAMMI. SO I DO ALOT OF READING ON THIS SITE. THIS IS JUST THE FIRST TIME I HAD A PROBLEM AND A BIG PROBLEM AT THAT. I WAS JUST LOOKING FOR A LITTLE INSIGHT, THATS ALL. NOT CRITISIM. RIDE ON!!!!!! :Rockon:

I'm sure Yamaha will take care of you Monkey Boy!
If they don't then you have a super major beef! Did you buy this sled new or used?

Monkey Boy - No one has called you any names, and know how you feel....

Get a hold of your dealer, like you have, as this is the best way to get things taken care of.

Just watching out for the best snowmobile site on the web.

Geeez give the guy the benefit of the doubt!! I see absolutely nothing that would lead me to believe he came here to bash anything!

Keep us posted as to what you find, good luck with the fix!

BRAND NEW OIL CHANGE AND FILTER AT AROUND 520 MILES
SHE RAN GOOD UNTIL SHE SHUT DOWN ON ME AND WOULD HARDLEY RUN SO WE TOED IT BACK AT FIRST DEALER TOLD ME IT WAS MY SHIFT FORKS WENT TO PICK IT UP TODAY THEY HAD PLUGS OUT SHOWED ME NUMBER 3 CYCLINDER SPARK PLUG WAS FLATENED SO I SHOULD KNOW SOMETHING TOMMOROW MAYBE!
ALL STOCK 1400 MILES THERE THINK PISTON OR VALVE LET LOOSE WE WELL SEE

hey Man,

welcome to the site, sorry to hear of you enging problems... that sucks. i would be very intrested in another post if you dealership gives you any issue's with warranty!

after saying that. my buddy has 45,000km on his 04 rx1, it still is hard to beat.. fast.

i have 4000kms on my 07 apex rtx. the motor pulls like a mule :)

hope it gets better!!!!

well a piston or valve would not do that to a spark plug...

it would never run for sure. if the valve was bent. it would grenade.

they only thing i can think of, is you sucked in a rock/bolt/nut... and the piston crushed, the plug...

cheers

what the heck is a shift fork??

Isn't it interesting that in this dude's first post, he used two Capital O's in his first sentence???(As in DOO)
Gee, why would someone cap an O if they weren't yanking our cords??

no bashing

he guys we don't want BASHING on this site if you don't believe him that's your opinion .If you don't have anyhing good to say or help don't post if you guys continue to bash you will recieve a vacation.

Well Monkey boy, although I am fairly new here as well, I say welcome. I spend a ton of time everyday reading posts here and in my opinion, I see a bunch of guys that are very passionate about this sport and this brand. I believe that the ribbing that you've receved here about your post will probably show you that everybody is watching out for what happens on other sites. I think this forum is better behaved than any other on the web, and I hope you gain (and accept) the trust of everybody here.
We're all here to help, just ask nicely!
Nate

Back