• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Best Bang for my Buck

98/02SRX

After last winter I've made up my mind that my RX-1 Mountain needs to go on a diet. I've done lots of reading, research and searching to find what I can and I've gone cross eyed. LOL I've read alot about putting a M7 skid in however Im not that good at fabrication but know someone who may beable to help me. Belive me or not I like the way it is with the stock skid but I'm looking for the best bang for my buck. I would like to do a light weight seat/new lighter exhaust or gut what I have/lighter skid. I would like to lose atleast 50lbs or more just off the back but at the same time I'm on a budget.

In other words......HELP!

It'll be hard to lose 50 lbs from the back but it can be done.

m7 skid is about 20lbs and is a lot easier than you might think
lightweight tunnel extension lose 5 lbs
boss seat (front mount type) lose 7 lbs
glass pack muffler lose 20 lbs.

There you go. If you want to stay with stock skid you could get a lightweight MPI kit but man, your back would prefer the m7 or holz skid.

Rt

Ok you have to forgive me but no abla arctic cat. LOL I know they come in a 141 153 and the big 162, I would like to keep my 151 because I can move it around easier them my buddys 1M. I don't like the machine that long. The only thing I must be missing in my search is what size cat skid to put under my RX-1. I'm trying to do this with out spending alot of money so I was planning on keeping the the stock tunnel but kicking it out to accomidate a 159" track. Mountain sleds are also new to me, I'm use to 121's on the trail with some field riding on the 121 with no problems. Snow is alot different in Alaska then Michigan.

Frostbite put a M7 141" skid with 151" fingertrack on his RX-1M. From what I have read his pleased with this setup.

Myself I have been looking for 153" skid to loongtrack it to 162" - I've had no luck so far. So it looks like there will be a apex m. skid under mine.

All the AC skidframes I have looked at has been sold between 300-400 USD. I'm pretty sure you will get under 500USD even with bought dropbrakects . What I've understood from the experienced guys on the forum - this is the best low cost upgrade to this sled (both weight and handling)

Heres some links that I found had the best deals on AC M skidframes:

http://stores.ebay.com/Cat-Bargains

http://www.rvsports.com/home.php

First link is to Cat Bargains and sencond link is to RVsports.

TT, Thanks for that info! When I get back to the states I know where their is a place I could probably find the 141 skid, do I have to change the track? I would like to keep the one I have, the wife thinks I spend too much as it is. LOL

Ask Frostbite - but as I have understod it he stayed with a 151" track.

Aren't we all VIP members of the " wifes thinks I blow all our money on snowmobiles" - LOL

You can stay with the 151" track on the 141 AC skid. Depends what you are riding in. I am all deep powder mountain, so I wasn't happy with the 141 and jumped to the 153 within about 2 months to put the 162x16x2.25 Maverick track on. Now........it floats! Lots of options, but the AC skid is a great upgrade and you reduce a lot of weight by using it. Good luck guys!

Aaron

If you are riding in North Pole with that dry fluffly stuff you would want the 162" for floatation reasons. heavy sled needs more track to float. However, if your just stationed at E.A.F.B. and will be returning soon, then you could keep the 151".

Rt

My buddy has a AC 162 King Cat and I didn't like it. For me too much track after riding my 151. I'm stationed at Eielson and I do most of my riding either at the White Mountains or down in Cantwell and I should be hitting up Summit and Hatchers pass this winter when I get back. I got around pretty good but I did realize i need to loose some weight off the sled. My buddy has a 141 AC and gets around just fine, but I've been wanting to loose some weight off the sled since I got it. Anyway when I get back down to the lower 48 I plan on taking it with me and doing some trail riding with it also, so I need to make sure what every I do to loose some weight it stays trail friendly also.

Ok I've done some more looking around and this is what I got so by all means correct me if I'm wrong. Glasspack exhaust will loose about 15 lbs, I take off my old exhaust and cut it at the X and weld a 12" glasspack and a 30" of exhaust pipe to the end of that and exit out into the tunnel where the stock muffler use to sit. Now how close can I get to that rear heat exchanger with the exhaust pipe? Do I keep the heat shields on the machine? What about having it coated and losing the heat shields if they are still needed? Also I really didn't find too many install pic's, lots of after pic's with some way cool Ideas running through my head.
:-o

M7 skid, I found a PDF file on here that shows how to hook up any skid to pretty much any machine by the way I read it. The M7 141" will work with a 151" track and loose about 20+-LBS and a much better ride. How about trail manners? Because this machine once I get back down to Michigan it will be a trail/power line sled.

And of course lose the stock seat and go boss and tunnel extension by MPI for more. If My math is correct I'm looking at about a 45 lb loss?

Any added input on this will be considered. ;)!

In addition to the planned weight loss; raise those bars up so you won't be bent over while standing. This will give you better leverage while carving which will give you the sense that the sled is alot lighter. I'm 5' 7" tall and here's a couple pictures of my bar setup.

Before raising the bars, I had ~58 lbs dropped of my sled, but I removed it as evenly as possible from the front and rear to avoid the nose lawn darting when dropping from cornices and jumping. I still wasn't really pleased with my carving and sidehilling until the Fly Racing bars and riser were added.

Jim

Attachments

• RX-1 pics 081.jpg
    RX-1 pics 081.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 71
  • RX-1 mtn Update 11-20-05.jpg
    RX-1 mtn Update 11-20-05.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 77
98/02SRX said:
Ok I've done some more looking around and this is what I got so by all means correct me if I'm wrong. Glasspack exhaust will loose about 15 lbs, I take off my old exhaust and cut it at the X and weld a 12" glasspack and a 30" of exhaust pipe to the end of that and exit out into the tunnel where the stock muffler use to sit. ;)!

I have no idea why the 30" of pipe???? Just weld the glass pack on and that is it. Use a U bolt (muffler clamp type) and drill 2 little holes up through the tunnel and heat shielding to mount it up. Leave heat shielding in place.

M7 skid handles way better on the trail than a stock 03' or 04' skid.

Rt

Now that I think of it I don't remember where I got 30" from. Must have been reading something else. LOL What about a down Pipe but not to extend below the tunnel? Recomended or not? Also I don't remember reading anything and I can go back in look but do I have to make any jetting adjustments when I do the glasspack?

Did I forget to mention that my RX-1M is an 05? I don't know if that will make a difference or not.

BlgsRX-1mtn, I have long arms but I think I'm going to raise my handle bars like you had stated.

I'm also going to do a lightweight battery and some other simple things I've read up front. What about drilling the track? I've heard and read about people doing that. What does it do about the life and strength of the track? Would this be something worth look into or is it one of those things that sounds good but is a bad Idea?

Don't need a downpipe but its up to you. I have read a few guys saying that the down pipe can damage your track but not sure.

If you have the 05' your suspension is pretty smooth so if you switch to the m7 skid it would be just to lose weight....but it will ride pretty close (I prefer the m7 over the 05-07' skid). I don't think you will be able to use the stock front mounting hole though. Search the posts on here because someone did that recently. Good luck.

Rt

Back