• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Best Bang for my Buck

Found a picture of my sled, how come it looks like it sits so low? I never even noticed until I started looking at all of the sleds on here.

Attachments

• IMGP06951.jpg
    IMGP06951.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 86
98/02SRX said:
Found a picture of my sled, how come it looks like it sits so low? I never even noticed until I started looking at all of the sleds on here.

It's probably due to the fact that your upper axle is still in the top hole of the drop bracket. That and the stock tunnel extension doesn't taper up making it look tall.

Here's what mine looked like before the aftermarket tunnel extension and moving to the bottom hole in the drop brackets vs. the picture I posted in my first post.

One more bit of info that I know aplies to the yamaha skids vs others. My stock RX-1 skid with 162" track extension is about equal to everybody elses 151" so a 162 might be to your liking. This is all due to the amount of track Yamaha have up in the tunnel because of their higher drive shaft location.

It's my belief that unless you do a drop and roll; puting a 162" (regardless of skid) won't give you any more of a footprint than the oppositions 151". To show you what I'm talking about; look at the other three photos attached.

Notice JonnyRocket's RX-1 has a shallower angle up front vs. my RX-1 with the stock yamaha skid with extensions for a 162". If it were sitting on the floor there wouldn't be any more track touching than the RMK 151". Now compare all three pictures. Neither of the two RX-1s with 162" tracks have a larger surface area contacting the ground than the RMK 151".

The tracks footprint is all that will matter for trail manners. The better approach angle JonnyRocket has will make it better in the powder.

Jim

Attachments

• Jim and Tura 12-21-02.jpg
    Jim and Tura 12-21-02.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 89
  • JonnyRocket's RX-1.jpg
    JonnyRocket's RX-1.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 83
  • RX-1 mtn 6-25-05.jpg
    RX-1 mtn 6-25-05.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 78
  • 05 IQ 900 with Boss High Rise.jpg
    05 IQ 900 with Boss High Rise.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 98
Ok, if I do decide to up grade to a longer track let me ask this, what is the difference between a 2.52 and 3.0 pitch? And what Anti ratchet driver to go with what pitch. You guys have to forgive me, I'm a buy stock do a bolt on / replace with OEM parts kinda guy I've never really done much mods other then clutching and studs.

98/02SRX said:
Ok, if I do decide to up grade to a longer track let me ask this, what is the difference between a 2.52 and 3.0 pitch? And what Anti ratchet driver to go with what pitch. You guys have to forgive me, I'm a buy stock do a bolt on / replace with OEM parts kinda guy I've never really done much mods other then clutching and studs.

The 2.52" pitch is the stock pitch for the RX-1 and is the same as my 162" Camoplast Challenger track. The 3" pitch is a new designed track found on the APEX. The pitch refers to the distance between each row of lugs.

I used Wahl Bros. 2.52" pitch anti ratchet sprockets in addition to the stock RX-1 drivers on my SCRX-1 last season and the sprocket teeth wore down in 500 miles bad enough for the track to ratchet.

This year I'm putting the Avid 2.52" pitch combo drivers on found here; http://www.avid-products.com/catalog/sn ... oducts.htm

The driver pitch you need will depend on what track you buy. If you are keeping the engine stock (not adding turbo or SC) the molded 3" pitch will work for that pitch track. If you plan on adding boost and a 3" pitch track then you will want to buy the CNC'd drivers.

Edit; I forgot to add; the stock mountain 2.52" pitch drivers are 8 tooth. If you go with 3" pitch; you want to use 7 tooth drivers since they are close to the same diameter. Also you want the drivers designed for a 1.0625" diameter shaft.

Jim

Droppin that 50 pounds...

I followed the same path your on now, and I promise its a very rewarding experience ripping off all that useless, expensive, heavy junk! As was posted a bit back, you'll get around 40 lbs dropped if you cut the exhaust and go with a glass pack, new seat, and tunnel... take the glasspack turn it down out the tunnel, and with some thin aluminum stock and rivets you can get a great finished look... also go with the Boss seat, they are great! I put on a Hartman tunnel, and despite the improved look, it does drop quite a bit of weight... you'll notice the weight as soon as you pull the stock one off. Regarding the other 10 lbs, I would suggest finding some billet drop brackets to shave a few pounds... but definately go with a lightweight battery if you do decide to get a boss seat it provides a great place to relocate a smaller battery under the seat. The boss seat has a little indent that is right above where the stock exhaust used to go. With about 6 feet of black and red 10 guage wire, you can make a bracket and mount that battery right under the seat... Browse around on here for battery relocation and you can find a very capable lighter battery for anywhere under 40 bucks.

I'll post a few pics later... I am puttin on a R&M lightweight hood, and trying out the ECP... hope all works out! Good luck with your project, these RX-1's are a great platform to work with.

Heres some pics of the updated sled... tunnel ext. boss seat and modded exhaust. Also put the speedo and lights up off the handlebar...

Attachments

• Sled1.jpg
    Sled1.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 79
  • Sled2.jpg
    Sled2.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 76
We ride mostly down on the Kenai Penninsula... Thinkin of going up to Arctic Man if my work schedule corresponds... Hows the riding up around there? A few friends and I are thinkin of leaving the wassila area and followin the iditarod trail over the far side by Mcgrath... do you know of anyone thats made the trip? Trying to get any info about the area as possible... Oh and one more thing... DO YOU HAVE ANY SNOW UP THERE!@? :o|

Cantwell is about as far south I've gotten to go riding. I like riding in the White Mountains over in the windy gap, you can ride all day and probably still find fresh powder and a hill to climb that hasn't been touched. The only problem is it's about 30-40 miles back so you have to pack in gas if you plan on being back their all day. Their is a little snow from the pic's I've seen and from what my wife has told me, I'm deployed over seas at the moment and will not be back until late January.

I'm hoping to make it to Arctic Man this year myself, my plans last year to go fell through so I have to wait. I'm also wanting to take the Trek over the top trip from Tok to Dawson but I don't think that is going to happen this year either.

Back