• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

BLown Primary Clutch

triumph54

Veteran
08 Nytro, 4500 miles.. Primary clutch blown apart and also took out driven clutch. Anyone else???? yet?? The casting that holds the rollers appears to have fractured and become a projectile. This just after having replaced a center shock last week because its shock body exploded, actually ruptured. I have been a Yamaha guy since I was 12, but as far as defending the reliability of these machines, there all junks.. They take too much of a beating and require WAY too much attention.. BRING ON SUMMER.. Get the sportbike, the dirtbike, and my street glide fired up.. Ride right from my garage with only a t-shirt.. WINTER SUCKS!!!!!!!
Oh yeah, on my way into work with my sled trailer and broken sled this morning, I noticed smoke pouring from trailers tires.. The rubber band inside of axle let loose and trailer plywood floor was riding on tires. Wore right thru the wood floor and inside of trailer.. Just missed NYTRO track by 4 inches... again.. WINTER SUCKS!!!!!

thats to bad , all sled break , i had a pol before this one and it needed work to , i got it with ele start had to take if off because ring gear was hitting bulkhead , so far i havn't work on this nytro as much as other ones i have had , seem to come together petty fast

The exact same things happened to me primary cracked and center shock exploded. I cant wait to see this sled go away. Not saying I wont buy another Yammi someday but not today or tomorrow. Their customer service & quality control also sucks a big one along with that joke of a "bumper to bumper" warranty. I thought the Y.E.S. was worth it until they told me im on my own.
triumph54 said:
08 Nytro, 4500 miles.. Primary clutch blown apart and also took out driven clutch. Anyone else???? yet?? The casting that holds the rollers appears to have fractured and become a projectile. This just after having replaced a center shock last week because its shock body exploded, actually ruptured. I have been a Yamaha guy since I was 12, but as far as defending the reliability of these machines, there all junks.. They take too much of a beating and require WAY too much attention.. BRING ON SUMMER.. Get the sportbike, the dirtbike, and my street glide fired up.. Ride right from my garage with only a t-shirt.. WINTER SUCKS!!!!!!!
Oh yeah, on my way into work with my sled trailer and broken sled this morning, I noticed smoke pouring from trailers tires.. The rubber band inside of axle let loose and trailer plywood floor was riding on tires. Wore right thru the wood floor and inside of trailer.. Just missed NYTRO track by 4 inches... again.. WINTER SUCKS!!!!!

Y.E.S means NO! You pay almost 10k for sled yamaha happy and your friend / motor comes apart yamaha not your friend Mr. japas say you ride to hard get bent, have good day.

we sell you motor part by part for another almost 10k yamaha happy again. I can't see why your unhappy. Maybe the gas pedal will stick on my toyota and put me out of this misery. -they got me once never again-

A person can find some god deals on used stuff over the summer. My riding buddy just spent almost $600 on his Doo secondary clutch,so $hit happens.

I have seen this a couple of times, it from overheating the clutches most of the time from powder riding or sever belt slippage. You should look into getting mesh screens for all your vents.

Just the regular maintanence.. Check the rollers and weights for any excessive play every season, there was none. The rollers were clean and would spin nicely. Blew out clutches with air, no lube used. The normal stuff.. This was, without a doubt, a casting defect in the fork that holds the rollers. You can see the difference in the casting material at point of failure from one side to the other, it is very obvious. As far as belt slippage and such, I dont think so. Ive been running this machine hard for 2 1/2 seasons, and replace my belt annually, just because, it always looks like new.. I always ride my first 20 miles easily, letting my machine/belt warm up nicely. Im a 15 year design engineer with 5 years experience at a materials testing lab.. THIS WAS A CASTING DEFECT. Keep any eye out for this. I doubt mine is the only one.. I do ride hard, always WFO at 8800-9000rpms, and break hard and late into corners, so Im sure I put excessive stresses into the clutches. But, Ive had 97 vmax 600 and 2000 Srx700, both with about 5K miles, no clutch problems. Yamaha is on the job, and Im hoping for 2 new assemblies (instead of piece parts).

triumph54 said:
Just the regular maintanence.. Check the rollers and weights for any excessive play every season, there was none. The rollers were clean and would spin nicely. Blew out clutches with air, no lube used. The normal stuff.. This was, without a doubt, a casting defect in the fork that holds the rollers. You can see the difference in the casting material at point of failure from one side to the other, it is very obvious. As far as belt slippage and such, I dont think so. Ive been running this machine hard for 2 1/2 seasons, and replace my belt annually, just because, it always looks like new.. I always ride my first 20 miles easily, letting my machine/belt warm up nicely. Im a 15 year design engineer with 5 years experience at a materials testing lab.. THIS WAS A CASTING DEFECT. Keep any eye out for this. I doubt mine is the only one.. I do ride hard, always WFO at 8800-9000rpms, and break hard and late into corners, so Im sure I put excessive stresses into the clutches. But, Ive had 97 vmax 600 and 2000 Srx700, both with about 5K miles, no clutch problems. Yamaha is on the job, and Im hoping for 2 new assemblies (instead of piece parts).

I think that's a fluke....

You guys that cry about warranty. Go and buy a DOO and wait until you have to warranty something. Their customer service sucks.... Plus you have to pay a 50.00 deductible for every claim once you enter the 2nd and 3rd year warranty. NICE!!!!! I have been around the block on that one before.... Especially when my wifes 1 month old 1998 MXZ 500 bone stock caught fire and burn't to the ground. With 50 witness's that were there could not believe it.... and BRP denied any wrong doing of their product. Totally stock sled, no studs.... stock runners, just stock..... Go ahead and jump ship and you will see what you have to deal with. I had DOO's for 20 years up to 2006, their service and warranty sucks..... It's a good thing I had a buddy that was the service manager at my dealership, because I would of left them along time before that...

A good dealer goes along way, but it was rediculous and after my 2 blown motors on my REV, I had enough of their crap.

Having said that I still have to deal with them for my Can-am 800 Outlander and my local DOO dealer closed 2 years ago.... :o| #$%&*

Story here is the grass is not always greener on the other side....

A good dealer goes along way when it comes to any warranty claims.... Some dealers are just dicks and their service managers should be fired....

Back