• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Blown rear shock again..

BlueByYou2000 said:
Alright guys. I hear your frustrations loud and clear. A few things Id like to address

1. Ohlins are not built by Yamaha. They are speced for the GT because of there ease of adjustability and plush ride on the "Groomed Trail" version of the Apex. Like all rebuildable shocks, they will require maintenence after a season or two. I think dealers have the ultimate responsibility to educate the customers as to what a specific model is designed for, and what pound rider. Most of the failed Ohlins shocks I have heard or were from riders on GTs over the 200-210 lb. mark. Big boy spring is mandatory for riders over that range on GTs.

2. Handle bar fiasco- Well what else can be said. You guys need to take all of your issues to your dealer and demand results for your concerns. Its the only Yamaha will hear you. Windshiled designs on 06 and 07 apex models offer minimal protection for your hands with regards to wind. Welteracer prooved this last week by just installing something as silly as a Ziplock bag over his hands. Then reported that it worked excellent. What does that tell you? Install handguards or a higher windshield, or gauntlets if you are having bar issues. That or again, take the problem to your dealer.

3. As for YammiMooses comments about how his sled handles. Have you attempted to change front ride heights? Can you elaborate a bit more on crappy handeling? Properly set, the Apex can corner just excellent.

4. We have so many more ways to address problems on our sleds than our fathers did back in the days of "ride one day, fix the next". I am of the opinion that these todays sleds take even more abuse than sled of days gone by. Higher speeds, better handeling, more miles all contribute to extreme vigors on a machine. All the technology in the world cant overcome friction, constant pounding, extreme weather conditions and rider abuse.

Lastly, I sincerely appreciate the comments, and complaints you guys are seeing in the field. But please do yourselves a favor and take the problems to your dealer. If your dealer doesnt address it, get a new dealer. Also feel free to call Yamaha and report your complaints...BBY

I'd back you up but what more can a guy say excellent post BBY :ORC
Let your dealers know and Let Yamaha Customer relations know sounds to me like they need to contact Ohlins and find out just what went wrong, Yamaha delivered the specs for weight etc, sounds to me like the manufacturer has an issue.

06 apex gt
i dont think i have any problems with shock yet, only have 700 miles on sled, i would hope not, I do notice that it semes like the rear suspension is rebounding preatty hard, seems like thier is no dampening. never changed factory settings though, should i increase dampening, and what about the wires breaking issues, is that something i should change before mine does. I never thought an electric shock was a good idea but dealer talked me into it. something about water and electric, just does not seem right, hopefully no problems

Talked to my dealer last night..

Yamaha said this would be the last time they give me a new shock! (they replace this shock last year too)

Thank god for Y.E.S.... LOL

They are also replacing one of my delaminated boggy wheels for free.

Back