• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Apex LTX / RX Warrior ecu / rear shock

Maake

Country
Other
Snowmobile
Yamaha Apex LTX GT
Hi!
New here on The Forum and got Back into sleds after 10yers or so with ab Apex LTX GT. Love The motor!!

Been a lot helpful tips here!

Anyway, to The Chase ;

I have The classic rear shock issue with Wires snapped from The shock solenoid.
Also cannot get continuity from solenoid with multimeter, so i am about to order new solenoid from Finnish öhlins distro.

However i am a little worried The ecu shock circuit is Bad, IS there any way to fool The system to think the shock is in place and working. I cannot get The shock icon to appear on The Dash, matter a fact The mode Button Works only randomly and i cannot adjust grip heaters also until i get The mode Button to Work once on awhile.

Before i order The shock solenoid i would like to know If The ecu can process The adjustments with new solenoid valve, because i don't Want to buy new ecu. The shock is nice as it is now and i can live with that If The ecu is Bad.

With Best regards from Finland, Maake

When either the shock solenoid goes bad or the shock wiring has a short/is cut, the ECU will not display the shock icon on the gauge cluster. However, once the solenoid or shock wire is replaced, the shock icon will re-appear.

Here's some information on how to replace the solenoid in case you don't have it. As for breaking cables, I have over 18,000 miles on my 08 Apex LTX and I have never broken a single cable.

Solenoid1.JPG

Solenoid2.JPG

Now, I have had to replace the solenoid over the years and am on my 3rd one but I have always followed this for cable routing:

ShockWiring.JPG

Thanks for your reply, however, since My mode Button does not Work at all, i cant cycle through grip/thumb heaters, i can only Access them by pressing the heater switch on handlebar. So i think The ecu unit is not going to recognize The shock Even when solenoid valve is replaced with new. If someone has recommendations for aftermarket shock with manual adjustments, give me hint.

Thanks, Maake

Thanks for your reply, however, since My mode Button does not Work at all, i cant cycle through grip/thumb heaters, i can only Access them by pressing the heater switch on handlebar. So i think The ecu unit is not going to recognize The shock Even when solenoid valve is replaced with new. If someone has recommendations for aftermarket shock with manual adjustments, give me hint.

Thanks, Maake
It is possible to have the EC shock converted over to manual clickers, talk to your Ohlins dealer about it.

Thanks for your reply, however, since My mode Button does not Work at all, i cant cycle through grip/thumb heaters, i can only Access them by pressing the heater switch on handlebar. So i think The ecu unit is not going to recognize The shock Even when solenoid valve is replaced with new.
I'm not sure you understand the function of the Mode button as you don't use it to cycle through the grip/thumb heater. All that Mode button does is cycle between the two level indicators; the grip warmer level indicator and the rear suspension compression damping level indicator (aka shock indicator). There is a rocker switch on the left side of the handlebars for the thumb warmer adjustment switch that you use to adjust the thumb warmer. When you use this switch, the thumb warmer indicator will display on the dash and will also display the bars used to indicate the heat setting the thumb warmer is set at. There is a rocker switch on the right side of the handlebars that is used to either adjust the grip warmer OR the rear suspension compression damping based off what the Mode button is set to. If Mode is set to grip warmer (ie. grip warmer indicator is displayed on the dash), cycling thru the rocker switch on the right side will cause the grip warmer indicator to display on the dash and will also display the bars used to indicate the heat setting the grip warmers are set at. If Mode is set to rear suspension compression damping (ie. shock indicator is displayed on the dash), cycling thru the rocker switch on the right side will cause the shock indicator to display on the dash and will also display the bars used to indicate the damping setting the rear shock is set at.

What happens when the shock solenoid goes out or the shock cable is compromised (eg. cut or disconnected) is that the ECU will not see/recognize the electronic shock and therefore will not display the shock icon on the dash when pressing the Mode button. If fact, pressing it during this state will do nothing and will have no effect with what is displayed on the dash. In normal operations at startup, the dash will initially display the grip warmer indicator or the shock indicator for 5 seconds according to the selected mode of the Mode button, then switches to the fuel meter. Pressing the Mode button will cause either the grip warmer indicator or the shock indicator to re-appear where using the rocker switch on the right will cycle thru the various levels of adjustment. However, when the rear shock solenoid or cable is bad, all you will see at startup is the grip warmer indicator. Pressing the Mode button again will have no effect with what's displayed on the dash. The only way to get the grip warmer indicator to re-appear on the dash is to use the rocker switch on the right to adjust the grip warmer. When I disconnect my electronic rear shock on my Apex, this is the behavior I see and pressing the Mode button does nothing. However, once I reconnect it, the Mode button works again and I can toggle between the grip warmer indicator and the shock indicator.

Although you can convert the electronic shock over to manual clickers, I believe replacing the solenoid will resolve your issue.

Thanks alot for clarification. I Will try The solenoid and let you know how it turns up.

-Maake

Maake, Why don.t you fix your control switches first and then work on from that point? sounds like you have some connection issues. The shock has 20 clicks of manual rebound adjustment and fails electronically( Damping) in the last position. My apex cable and solenoid failed for the last time about 8,000 miles ago and still rides great! Electronic shock adjustment was nice but not needed anyway. just my 2 cents. Enjoy

Back