• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Brand new Nytro engine break-in suggestions

awolb69

Extreme
Just picked up my new 2011 Nytro XTX and I'm looking for a little advice on engine break-in. I know this subject certainly has been covered before on here, but I cant seem to find it by searching here. Anyway, I have had an 03 RX1 & an 06 Apex RTX and when both were new I just drove them moderately for the first couple hundred miles before I started to rip on them a bit. While I never had any problems with either sled, both did use a bit of oil throughout the season which would leave me to believe that the rings never seated properly. I have read that by starting the engine when its new and letting it get nice & hot and then shutting it off, letting it cool and then repeating the same process a few times helps to seat the rings better before you actually ride it. Any truth to that, or what do some of you recommend? Below is a pic of the day I brought to Nytro home. Good to be back to Yamaha after 2 yrs of the Polaris 800 Dragon mess that I lived through!

Attachments

• 100_0556.jpg
    100_0556.jpg
    705.6 KB · Views: 107

This is my first Yamaha sled but have owned many new quads and alway took it easy for the first few 100 miles with lots of rpm variations and let the engine pull itself down in rpms when at 3/4 throttle. This thing about letting them idle up to operating temperature a few times and let them cool down sounds like a cylinder glazing waiting to happen. Your sled but I would never do that. Knock on would I have never owned an oil burner.

Oh ya nice ride by the way! :-o

break in

I also came off a 800 dragon mess and am happier then ever. I tried my best to follow the link that turk gave above. Ride it like you stole it with lots of variations in rpm. I got a 2010 XTX at the end of the season last year and put 289 miles on it in two days before I called it a season. the thing is an animal compaired to that lemon 800 dragon. Fuel economy is great. Only down side is the slider wear but thats better than losing an engine. Can't wait for the snow.

Turk, that is a very interesting article. Makes perfect sense though. Wonder why the manufacturers don't use this method. Kinda makes me never want to buy a used sled for fear that the origonal owner used the wrong break in method causing problems for me in the future.

back when i was in auto tech school,in the early 80's the the general service manuals at the time recomended this type of breakin.the key seems to be varying loads,at different rpms.

I've always just rode them like I stole them, and they always seem to run a little harder than the ones that have been babied during break-in.
These days, with the quality of materials and the engineering into the motor in general, I think the break in thing isn't what it used to be. The guys that say ride it like you're going to be riding it are right. Take it easy for the first few miles to get used to the sled itself, then have fun!
I don't think I would break one out of the crate and go lake racing, though...

Did what man said runs great . Its all in the man follow it wont have a problem. If u dont have a owners man they have them on e-bay :Rockon:

Nope lol. got on the sled. took her easy for a little bit and rode it like i always do. lot of tighter trails where i ride so its a lot of vary in RPM which is good. i wouldnt get on the sled and hold it to the bar across a lake but just take it easy for a little bit, get the sled warmed up and the new belt broke in and ride it!

Back