• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

BREAK IN PERIOD FOR THE RS MOTOR

kyzer

VIP Member
I know what the manual says about the break in period...I was just wondering what everyone has done to break in there sleds, The manual says one thing my dealer says something slightly different and I have heard that other guys have done the total oppisite of the manual...I know that you should follow the owners manual..How many miles before your first oil change ????? Did you crack the throttle to see what the sled will do for top speed??? Did you try to keep the RPMs up and down during break in????

vary the trhottle speeds for the first few mile you can hold it wide open but don't do it longer than roughly 10 seconds at a time.I held it after 20 miles.
Do the break in oil change at 500 miles.

I used the link The Snow D.O. posted to break in my sled. I have used that way to break in my last two sports bikes (both yamaha R1s). My bikes always seem to dyno with higher HP and TQ numbers then my freinds that follow the owners manuals. I also ran my sled 200 miles ( which was my first ride/break in on it) then changed the oil. 500 miles is a lot of miles to me before changing the oil on a fresh engine. First oil changes always brings some pretty shiny stuff as all the metal parts start breaking in.

Jeff

Breakin in a snowmobile engine is by no mean comparable to cars or motorcycles in the sense of how much friction & RPM involved. The smootest sled breakin might be comparable in heat & energy to the heaviest bike breakin you have ever seen.

Just my opignon here... course, changing oil & filter asap is a plus thing, i also believe they recommend on the late side.

You haven't went to that site yet have you? Mainly it is about not babing the engine during break in since the most important part of the break in is making sure the whole ring seals to the cylinder walls. The Yamaha snowmobile breakin instructions is almost exactly like the motorcycle instructions. I would say a sled takes more energy to get it moving and keep it moving. When breaking the engine the goal is to get the piston rings to seat/seal into the cylinders. The friction inside the engine is the same regradless of the load being applied to the engine from a piston ring stand point. You just need to get those rings to seat into the cylinders in order to have a good seal. That is the reason for aggressive throttle inputs to increase the compression in the combustion chambers to force the whole ring surface to seat into the cylinder walls.

Jeff

Back