• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Breaking in a four stroke

gamer1

Extreme
Since I just switched to a four stroke I have been wondering what is the best way to break them in.

Do a search on the topic. (Your time, not mine)

I usually take it easy for the first hundred miles then vary the rpms till 500. WOT runs and regular putting along. Just don't do too much of either, shake it up a bit.

Works for my bikes and my sleds.

I broke mine in pretty much by the "Yamaha" book.

I didn't hold it WOT for any length of time until I had about 1000 kms on it (600 miles).

Initially I idled the engine for about 11 minutes (until the running boards were so hot I coudn't touch them without burning my hand), but instead of comletely letting it idle I varied the rpms between 1500 and 2500 rpm. I then shut it down and didn't fire it up until we had snow.

Starting around 10 miles I gave it very short bursts of heavy throttle (second or so), and kept increasing the WOT time ultil about 800 kms.

I also didn't hold the rpms above 6000 rpm for more than a few seconds until over 100 miles and not above 8000 rpm for long until over 500 miles were on the sled. Also during break in I try to use engine braking a fair bit.

One it was broken in I drove it hard. Many long WOT runs and lots of WOT from corner to corner.

At 10,300 kms (6500 miles) it burns 1/4 of a liter (quart) in 3200 kms (2000 miles). In a dry leakdown test, all cylinders are 5-6% (anything less than 10% is typically considered good).

Maybe I didn't need to break it in so carefully but after spending almost $15,000 on a new toy and hearing of many 03/04 sleds burning oil I didn't want to take any chances.

I'm a believer that a good break in needs WOT early in life, but too long a duration can cause hot spots that can lead to premature wear.

Drive it like your going to when it is broke in. It is IMHO the best way to break in a engine. The only thing with nowadays the darn computer can tell what you did and when you did it. So they could use that against you in a warranty claim.

break-in

Took ours by the book:6000rpm limit to 100miles, 8000 rpm limit to 300miles and then normal to 500. The other warrior in town: this guy was racing wot with 50miles on her and kept on racing. With mine at 1000 miles and his at over 600miles we lined up. I was ahead by 7 sled lengths at 3/4 mile in identical "lanes". Low end and top were similar but in mid-range mine roared by. (identical gas and rider weight) Everybody here knows how hot RXs get after repeated wot runs. That can't be good for break-in. We also idled ours for the 3-5 minute intervals and kept snow on the boards for break-in. We also ran heat cycles, running her warm, letting her cool completely and doing the same again. It was tedious but now I'm glad I did it. In 1200 miles the oil level didn't drop a bit. Anything you can do to keep the engine from getting too hot should help break-in. :yam:

Back