• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Burning out slides???

You need to loosen your track up. I run mine about 2 turns looser than the factory spec. Even at 2,000 miles, other than the radius on the rails, the rest of the slide looked new. I used the FIX power sports wheels at the rail radius and they worked great! Until they broke off.....

Mine were fine until last weekend. Snow conditions weren't bad, but the trail was icy on the way in and back. I'd say we did about 20 miles on the trail, the rest was boondocking...hyfax are down to about 20%...started the ride with over 50% on them.

installed scratchers today...hopefully they will help.

I burned out a set in 800km and part of the left rail...had to buy a new one. I cut the track back to 1.75" studded it and put scratchers on. Since then i have gone another 700km and you wouldn't even know i was on the thing. the sled is still excellent in the snow as well, as least for what i need.

had a old rx1 suspension laying around so i added a large wheel behind the wheel that holds the torsion spring to the rail..works good..just need a small set at the bend,but the small ones dont seem to last

I have a MTX with near 2000 kms and my hyfax are still in very good shape!

Heat cycle and not running your track too tight is the secret for lasting hyfax!

Errol

i was told that for slides there is a "break in process" which since i heard about it i have always done. this doesnt mean scratchers or dipping in the snow often isnt needed anymore but you are supposed to get more life out of the slides this way... what i have heard is to drive around on packed snow and get the slides really warn until about the point you can smell them and then dip off into the deep snow, you do this for about 3 or 4 times. after i heard this i have always done it right away and my slides last me quite awhile.. just thought i would share this info and maybe somebody would be kind enough to confirm or deny it.. thanks

When I had the stock skid, mine chunked more so than burned up. They seemed super soft and any kind of branch or hard object would take a chunk out or slice them up bad. I had never had an issue with hifax until the MTX. I personally think it's just the compound. I would get your next set from DennisKirk and see if they last any longer.

colbymh said:
Sorry for the lame question, but what do the scratchers do?

Kick up snow from the hard trails into the rear skid keeping the hyfax/slides cool and less worn.

errol said:
...and not running your track too tight is the secret for lasting hyfax!

Errol

I'm 2 1/4 turns looser than I picked it up from dealer. About a 1/2" of droop with no pull on the track.

-Moto

Attachments

• 2007 Apex GT SC 009.jpg
    2007 Apex GT SC 009.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 92
  • 2007 Apex GT SC 008.jpg
    2007 Apex GT SC 008.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 93
Has anyone ever tried driiling 1/8" holes the length or laying ion a ban saw and cuting a groove 1/8" deep? Both ideas suggested by my dealer.

David :yam:

The only problem here is Yamahas specs. Loosen track to 1" sag without pulling down and sliders will last! Even in not so good cond. I burned first set out in 300km, now have 1200km, basically same conditions, and NO wear yet.

600 miles and the sliders are gone. 75% of the slider is in reasonable shape, however there is a 25% section totally worn.

My dealer took up the limiter strap a bit and I had them put on scratchers. I am seriously thinking of cutting a 1/4 to a 1/2 inch off the lugs.

KINS said:
My dealer took up the limiter strap a bit and I had them put on scratchers.

When they pulled up the skid, did they retighten the track? If I'm not mistaken, pulling up the limiter should loosen the track a bit - which should help.

Back