• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Burning Sliders

skyboz said:
TurboJamie said:
Running extroverts, but we have one with a stock track using them up in the same fashion.
;)!

One thing I have noticed is a lot of you guys using the ski-doo drivers. Any advantage to those versus the MTX drivers. With the MTX's all you have to do is pop off the outside wheels, press the two extroverts on and it seems to be all set!! Just curious! :Rockon:

Nothing really about mine running the Doo ones. They just work really well and I have had very good luck with them in the past.

skyboz said:
TurboJamie said:
Running extroverts, but we have one with a stock track using them up in the same fashion.
;)!

One thing I have noticed is a lot of you guys using the ski-doo drivers. Any advantage to those versus the MTX drivers. With the MTX's all you have to do is pop off the outside wheels, press the two extroverts on and it seems to be all set!! Just curious! :Rockon:
Skidoo 10 tooth extroverts worked excellet for me. MUCH better trail manners, improved handling and top speed for $100 (plus a lot of labor)....

I just put a set of slydog rear and front wheels on they are a bit larger and I also have a set of marginal snow wheels on at suspension bend. I did notice extra wear on the sliders just in front of the rear wheels, I am going to put another set of wheels there. This should stop rear slider wear also. I wll let you know the outcome...

I have 500 miles on our Nytro and the sliders show no wear at all. The very first thing I did was put SLP wearpads on all the closed windows of the track. I did the same with My Apex and after 4500 miles the hyfax still were in excelent shape.

jds1000 said:
I have 500 miles on our Nytro and the sliders show no wear at all. The very first thing I did was put SLP wearpads on all the closed windows of the track. I did the same with My Apex and after 4500 miles the hyfax still were in excelent shape.

What do you mean by closing all the window's on your track? Fully clipped?

lucky_7 said:
jds1000 said:

What do you mean by closing all the window's on your track? Fully clipped?

The SLP wearpads are a round flat metal pad that bolts in the closed window area so the hyfax has something to ride on instead of the rubber track. This makes the hyfax run much cooler than stock. I don't close the windows they come from the factory closed.

My slides were burning up quickly on my 07 Nytro so I added two sets of the Fix wheels and no more excessive slider wear. I didn't need to add wear pads or drill out the clsoed windows.

Attachments

• Fix Wheel kit.JPG
    Fix Wheel kit.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 109
I have always broken mine in and it makes a difference but they still wear too quickly as far as most of us are concerned.

Too early for new sliders...

Man, I love this FX.
Although.
I've burned off sliders faster than any sled I've ever owned.
No matter the snow condition.
Track loose or at spec. doesn't matter.
Burned off sliders entire length.
I can smell the plastic every time I get off the sled.

I got the track very hot yesterday, in the rough stuff.
So hot the clips were trying to bond to the sliders like glue.
I was bouncing along over the tops of the bumps on a section not groomed.
Fun, but the track isn't connected on the snow much.

Conclusion, something needs to be fixed.
I could easily burn off a set of sliders on a 5 day trip, 250km per day. My prediction... you'd be screwed.
This is not something you should be worrying about while out having fun.

I'm going to try to add more idlers and fit them in where I can. (not sure if there is enough room to fit along the rear section, yet)
Oh, by the way...
I installed Ulmer Racing adj. transfer rear blocks and makes the sled way better for fast Ontario trail riding.
And still a hoot to ride.

Cheers

I dont think there is something wrong with the rear skid construction or "lubrication". Thing is that all yamaha sliders/hyfax are made of low quality cheesy material and it have been like this for some years now. I really dont understand why not yamaha choose a different supplier of this slides. Back in the 80' and early 90' there was no problem reaching 10000km on the stock yamaha sliders, they was hard as rock. Last year I and a friend of me did maintence on our sleds and also changing sliders. He have a polaris rmk and I then had the new phazer. I was very interested to find out why he didnt toast his slides driving on hard packed with that high lug track while I with the stock 1" ripsaw was stinking burned chemicals all the way. When we had the weared out slides off, I took a hand saw and cut through the yamaha and polaris slides. The yamaha slides was soft like cheese and the polaris slides was MUCH MUCH harder to cut. Have spoke with the chief mechanics at my dealer and he told me that yamaha was well aware of this bad quality sliders and was working with a solution to solve this issue.
Really hope this will be fast! And yes, I have tryed the tricks about running the slide to melting point on hard packed and then out in the deep powder. It worked great with the "old" types slides making them last even longer than earlier mentioned, but not on this new cheese style slides.

It is in the Yamaha's skid construction where the flaw is as far as I am concerned (track angle approach, whatever it is I don't know). I've tried aftermarket sliders and graphite ones too, yet I went through all of them like butter. Riding with my buddy (on a Doo) on the very same trails for the very same amount of miles, and I'm burning through my sliders 4 times and he hasn't gone through any? Even with me being heavier, there's NO way can you convince me that it's all in the slider material...it's Yamaha's design that causes us this slider wear problem.

Back