• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Can to tight of belt deflection effect top RPMs?

SpecRTX

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2018 Thundercat
I just put a new belt on my 06 RTX and its squeeling like a pig. I heard that my sled comes with 1mm washers on the back side of the secondary. I'm going to try the 0.5mm washers to get rid of the noise.

My question is, can too tight of a deflection cause a drop in peak RPMs?

Before you add the shim check this.
Temporarily install the belt on the secondary
sheave assembly only,and then measure the
belt position. Do not force the beltin the sheaves.
The secondarysliding and fixed sheavesmust touch
each other.(.06 in aboveedge - .02 in below is the spec.

Answer to your question is yes it can if it dont allow
the belt to move to the top of the primary at full shift out.

The higher the belt moves up the primary the more
rpm you find as the belt starts it shift out at lowest point and as rpm increases it climbs toward the top.

My current belt has 2400 km on it & I noticed this past weekend that all I was getting rpm wise was 10400 max. I get the dealer to do all my work as I have no clue mechanically. Is there a reason for this. It also seems as if my top end is down. I saw 182 km (113 mph) initially then put 162 studs down the middle & seems top speed was down & now noticed rpms seem to be down. My 03 RX-1 top speed with 192 studs I saw 200 kmh on a icy hard packed logging road. Is there anything I should be looking in to. :o|

Try the same icy hard pack road and your MPH and
RPM should rise ! Perfect conditions produce your
best results ! We always remember our best run dont we !

New belt might be in order also ! How many miles on the sled! Need aleast 1000 before she starts
to loosen up ! Your new motor should have more horsepower than your RX-1. Should run stronger !

Belt deflection has NO effect on RPM or speed. Only the way it engages. A new belt however, may lower top RPM due to belt gripping pulleys better. As the belt wears in, the angle will change slightly and the RPM will generally rise. Mike Knapp#17

Back