• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Can't get the headlight cover back on!

wxgreg

So I changed the oil/filter, and what a pain in the butt that was, now the only thing I can not get back together is the black plastic cover that fits above the headlight, for the life of me i can not pop the rubber (grommets?) back into the other blue shroud plastic pieces. there are only four places that secure it to the snow machine, the other two just being plastic that slides into the other pieces. (Just trying to explain it a little better.) I know it is a pain without a picture, but chances are if you have ever removed this piece then you know exactly the pain in the butt pieces I am talking about.

If I remember correctly, the rubber gromets need to be on the part that the headlight cover attaches to in order to install it. But its been about a year since I last worked on it.

Put the rubber pieces in the blue part first. They arn't suppose to come out with the headlight cover but the always do. I actually put mine in upside down and they seem to stay put better.

I trimmed the little tabs on the headlight cover so it comes off without pulling the grommets or breaking the little posts. It still holds well enough so it doesn't fly off going down the trail.

Voda2000 said:
Put the rubber pieces in the blue part first. They arn't suppose to come out with the headlight cover but the always do. I actually put mine in upside down and they seem to stay put better.

Yup. Use a hair dryer and they will be really easy to come off the posts.

i didn't know the rubber pieces were supposed to stay in the blue plastic and I was afraid if I removed them from the black piece I would break it. That makes much more sense. Thanks a million! :o|

Everytime I remove the cover, I pop the grommets back into the plastic and put some light grease inside, this allows the headlight cover to slide in and out easier. My wife told me that one :)

Ricketts said:
Everytime I remove the cover, I pop the grommets back into the plastic and put some light grease inside, this allows the headlight cover to slide in and out easier. My wife told me that one :)

X2... put some grease on the tabs.

be careful they break in the cold i rigged mine onwith expanding nuts, now i use a screw driver,plain crappy design imo

Yup the grommets come out everytime I remove that hairpiece, at least thats what I call it. Shave the darts a bit and be done with it.

After my tabs broke off I installed bolts on the tank cover, drilled holes on the headlight cover where the tabs were and used wing nuts to keep it down. Two years with it and no problems whatsoever.

Attachments

• Nut.jpg
    Nut.jpg
    277.4 KB · Views: 99
  • Bolt.jpg
    Bolt.jpg
    273.1 KB · Views: 90
Cubby said:
After my tabs broke off I installed bolts on the tank cover, drilled holes on the headlight cover where the tabs were and used wing nuts to keep it down. Two years with it and no problems whatsoever.

I like. I'll have to look for stylish wing nuts

Back