• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Carb or FI Vector

musselmark said:
I am looking for a used vector 2008 and up, should I be looking for Carb or FI, what are the pros/cons

I have had zero issues with my carbed Vector, and although it was originally stated the FI's would get better fuel economy, I don't believe it to be true?

Carb mtce is one thing that you won't necessarily have with a FI but I run Sea-Foam regularily and have had no need for any carb mtce.

I have been riding with a friend for three years he has a fuel 10 vector ltx runs great. My 05 rage and my 06 venture alway get 1 to 2 more mpg than the FI gets. The fuel injected sled has many other advantages. No green carbs can use 10% enthol with no problems and higher top end.

Dara said:
My 12 Vector is a POS

Barely 12 mpg where my 06 rage got 18 and about 5 mph slower

I'd have to say you have something seriously wrong if your mileage is really that bad. Track too tight/misaligned, brakes dragging, FI problem, ignition problems, etc. because that is just not close to the 'normal' everyone else is seeing.

P.S Don't live with it - FIX it.

I owned both

I really like the fuelie, easier starts and no worries about a vapor lock and gummed up carbs. I don't get better fuel economy, about the same but it is a different motor. I get 17-18 American mpg riding pretty hard but on trail.

VT_BluYamaha54 said:
Dara said:
My 12 Vector is a POS

I'd have to say you have something seriously wrong if your mileage is really that bad. Track too tight/misaligned, brakes dragging, FI problem, ignition problems, etc. because that is just not close to the 'normal' everyone else is seeing.

P.S Don't live with it - FIX it.[/quot

I would like to fix it but I have no dealer.
Yamaha closed them down and now its a 3 hour round trip to a dealer that doesn't seem to know what he is doing.

Just called Yamaha about it and they said, too bad, so sad.

Dara said:
I would like to fix it but I have no dealer.
Yamaha closed them down and now its a 3 hour round trip to a dealer that doesn't seem to know what he is doing.

Just called Yamaha about it and they said, too bad, so sad.

I think it is a very tough environment for the dealers these days. We have lost 2 Yammi dealers here in just the last few years so I no longer have a 'local' dealer and it is about a 3h r/t for me as well.

If I had your problems and the sled is still in warranty I would go to the dealer and have Yamaha on the phone while I dealt with the dealership's management. Camp out until it is corrected. These 'toys' are too expensive (and complex) to 'live' with problems. The problems will only get worse - and if it goes beyond warranty it could be very $$.

On the other hand, if it is out of warranty THIS is the place to get help!! If you are willing to roll up your sleeves, have a few tools, and "do it yourself" there aren't any problems - only solutions HERE!

You could begin by telling us a bit more about your sled: mileage, have you made any mods?, does it seem to idle/run normally, does the track seem tight and is it aligned per the manual, is the parking brake adjusted per the owners manual?

Dara said:
My 12 Vector is a POS

I agree with everyone else that 12 is way too low to be considered the norm. I rode mine pretty hard this past weekend and managed 15.8 mpg, but it was on hard pack snow. Like someone said give us more info and we could help you out.

I hate to be hijacking a thread here but...

First off, I snowchecked it in spring 2011 and it came with a 3 year warranty.
Gives me this winter and next to sort it out.

Last year it was better on fuel, not great but better.

I have the track a bit looser than spec..sags about an inch on its own. It seems to be aligned pretty well. I put close to 200 miles on this weekend with no track issues.
Studded
About 2300 miles but the odometer only says about 1800 due to speedo sensor issues last year.
We are still working on that part because they changed the sensor and when I stop it takes a couple of seconds for the speedometer to wind down to zero.
I don't know if that is putting extra miles on or not.

It runs just fine..no misses, plenty of power...I'm not too worried about top end. 100 mph is on the speedo and that could be off anyway. Not a lot because I have a pretty good feel for how fast I am going anyway. Rode my Rage for 12,000 miles in 6 seasons.

The gearbox thing is adjustments so thats not a big deal either.
I will likely get the new dealer to finish that when I take it for the speedo warranty thing.

I just need an idea on the mileage part.
I talked to the dealer today and he says all my problems are things they never hear of.
Who ever thought a bad speedo sensor would set off the TORs..intermitantly, and sometimes the speedo would work. like every time I went to the dealer.
Is there any adjustments for fuel, could the puter messup have done something to fuel programming.
Time for Totally yamaha to pull through for me :jump:

I been riding the same trails for years and know how much gas I should be using. When I'm putting gas in and the Cats aren't...there is a problem.
I used a tankfull when I should have used a half

I realize you may have an understanding of the amount of gas you should be using based upon history and other riders. This past weekend I could have swore that I was getting better than I normally would based upon what other riders were taken until I actually did the math. The number fell right in line with my past history of 16 mpg. I could have swore it was more like 18, but the math didn't lie. Unless you compare your gas consumption to a trusted mile count you may be chasing something that isn't there, but then again you know your machine better than anyone on this board.

By the way most of us run our tracks even looser than what you do yours. Mine is set about 1-3/4" free sag in the middle with no hanging weight.

I will try the track a bit looser.
I just changed sliders again thin weekend and it ended up a bit tight, but with the studs added and what it did to my rear cooler last year I didn't want it too loose.

I guess it could add up with all the little things but it sure did seem to use a lot of gas

Back