• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Carburetor Issues

When cleaning the carbs, do only 1 at a time. This way you have 2 others to look at and any left over parts goes to the 1 you are doing.

As far as seafoam, it didn't seam to help. I still had carb problems.

4strokeluvr111 said:
Irv said:
4strokeluvr111 said:
Petron said:
4strokeluvr111 said:
09apexltx said:
Keep seafoam in the tank, it will usually keep this from happening.

Strongly disagree on the Seafoam comment. Yes on the carb synch after removal.

Why disagree on Seafoam?

Either for storage or regular use during the season, Seafoam will not prevent pilots from clogging.

How do you come to that conclusion?
I have been using it for quite a few years now and not once in that time have I had to clean my carbs on 2 sleds.

Imo, the cleaning properties of Sea Foam are one of it's greatest benefits.

Because I am a firm believer in Seafoam and it has not prevented my pilots from getting plugged. I also run non-eth fuel 90% of the time. I have tried all the in-season and off-season tricks and in 9 years of owning my Vector (14K miles) the pilot(s) have gotten clogged 3X. IMO...those who have NEVER had to clean their pilots either are just plain lucky or they may not be telling the truth. The dealer mechanics have all raved about how clean my carbs were when they took them apart and I atrribute that to regular use of Seafoam.

Surprised to hear that but I also know not all gas is created equal.

Up here in Canada all I ever run is 87 Octane and I am not overly fussy where I get it from other than to make sure it is a big name station rather than a cut-rate on if I can help it?

4strokeluvr111 said:
Irv said:
4strokeluvr111 said:
Petron said:
4strokeluvr111 said:
09apexltx said:
Keep seafoam in the tank, it will usually keep this from happening.

Strongly disagree on the Seafoam comment. Yes on the carb synch after removal.

Why disagree on Seafoam?

Either for storage or regular use during the season, Seafoam will not prevent pilots from clogging.

How do you come to that conclusion?
I have been using it for quite a few years now and not once in that time have I had to clean my carbs on 2 sleds.

Imo, the cleaning properties of Sea Foam are one of it's greatest benefits.

Because I am a firm believer in Seafoam and it has not prevented my pilots from getting plugged. I also run non-eth fuel 90% of the time. I have tried all the in-season and off-season tricks and in 9 years of owning my Vector (14K miles) the pilot(s) have gotten clogged 3X. IMO...those who have NEVER had to clean their pilots either are just plain lucky or they may not be telling the truth. The dealer mechanics have all raved about how clean my carbs were when they took them apart and I atrribute that to regular use of Seafoam.

I believe the vector pilot is a little lean and that is part of the reason that it tends to idle high! starving for fuel at idle! I was told to fatten up the pilot on these sleds and problem ges away! could be a reason it plugs easily? but I I have close to 4000 km on mine and never had an issue I use 87 octane lots but put carb cleaner in it regularity especially at beginning of season and never had an issue, but does idle high even when I adjust it. just accepted it about 2100 rpm

it's a carb cleaner/fuel stabilizer, Polaris brand actually. I should mention

My buddy just went through a similar problem with his 2006 nytro. He bought it from a dealer that told him it was good to go and just had the carbs cleaned. First ride it fell on its face and would only run on two cylinders. Had the carbs cleaned again no change. Took them apart a few more times since after thinking it was electrical (it wasn't). He also replaced both in tank fuel filters as they were in poor condition. The last time he took the carbs apart he found little pieces of the old fuel filters had broke down and were in the fuel system. He ended up putting inline filters just before the carbs and it seems to have cured his issues. Something to consider if you've tried everything else.

BTW most gas is created equally and pumped into common distribution lines. As the supply trucks fill up, they ad the additives there and deliver to the stations. So the Sonoco gas you buy may not have been refined at a Sonoco refinery, but additives added to make it their special brand.

Back