• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Cat rider with nytro xtx questions

romie

Extreme
I am a 25 yr cat rider torn between a first yr cat or an xtx nytro. I have some questions I hope you guys will answer. 1) what's up with all the hubbub I read about ball joints, A arm bushings, steering failure. Major issues or maintenance items. 2) Ice under the tunnel. Is this a big issue and is there a solution. 3) Small fuel tank and reported mileage of 12-16/gal. This past weekend we had a 100 mile stretch between civilizations. My 12 gallon f8 tank and easy throttle gives me more than enough fuel to make this. What about the little tank on the nytro and no where to put a 2.5 gal can w/o exhaust mods to the side. My f8 gets 15/gal on this stretch. 4) The handling and cornering woes I read about. Are they that noticeable. My f8 cornered like crap before mods. Are these the same. I don't expect it to ride as smooth, but is it tolerable.
I test drove a 2011 and loved the motor. I ride moderately hard at times but not like a 20 yr old. Love to play around in the fields etc... Let me know of any other quirks. Or positives. Thanks

I dunno man, I've been researching the hell out of the Nytro and I just can't bring myself to buy one. To have to spend so much more money to make an already very expensive sled acceptable is just not worth it in my book. The Nytro has the potential to be an awesome machine, but it just makes more sense to buy one out of the box that has 30 hp more and is 100lbs lighter. Add a rack, a couple of gas cans and 50 lbs of ice to your tunnel and that's one heavy sled for the power it makes. Its a very tough call indeed. I almost think its better to find a used one if you are really set on it then you can justify some additional expense to make it suitable.

romie said:
I am a 25 yr cat rider torn between a first yr cat or an xtx nytro. I have some questions I hope you guys will answer. 1) what's up with all the hubbub I read about ball joints, A arm bushings, steering failure. Major issues or maintenance items. 2) Ice under the tunnel. Is this a big issue and is there a solution. 3) Small fuel tank and reported mileage of 12-16/gal. This past weekend we had a 100 mile stretch between civilizations. My 12 gallon f8 tank and easy throttle gives me more than enough fuel to make this. What about the little tank on the nytro and no where to put a 2.5 gal can w/o exhaust mods to the side. My f8 gets 15/gal on this stretch. 4) The handling and cornering woes I read about. Are they that noticeable. My f8 cornered like crap before mods. Are these the same. I don't expect it to ride as smooth, but is it tolerable.
I test drove a 2011 and loved the motor. I ride moderately hard at times but not like a 20 yr old. Love to play around in the fields etc... Let me know of any other quirks. Or positives. Thanks

I'm in my third year with mine, and have over 10,000kms on it.

The front ends get sloppy, there's no doubt about that. But I haven't replaced anything in the front end yet, and certainly haven't had any kind of "steering failure". I ride mostly off trail and rough trails, and I don't spare the sled.
Ice under the tunnel really depends on where you live, and the kind of riding you do. Since moving to Nfld it hasn't been a big issue at all, probably because of the warmer temps. Riding off trail in Ontario, though, I did build up alot of ice, both under the tunnel, and on top of it.
Small gas tank is a major issue. Riding trails you shouldn't have much trouble getting 100 miles, and in Ontario I considered 160kms to be my safe operating range. Get off trail, though, and milage drops considerably. Playing in deep stuff I'm lucky to get 100kms from a tank, and I usually carry 5 liters with me just in case.
Handling and cornering woes? I don't know what you're looking for in a sled, but the Nytro handles very very well. The XTX is an awesome all-rounder, so it's not the best at railing corners, it's not the best at pounding moguls, it's not really the best at any one thing. But it's very capable of alot of things, and with a very minor bit of tweaking you can make it excellent for the kind of riding YOU want to do. Same as any other sled really. But any talk of "handling and cornering woes" is bull.

The motor really is the best thing about the sled though. It's completely addictive, and I never get tired of cracking the throttle and getting the front end in the air over every rise in the trail. It's the most fun you can have with your cloths on.

I get 200km's + for fuel which is around a 120 miles on trail (before light so there is a gallon left). The steering? Don't know what your talking about. I put shaper bars on and mine and it handles like it's on rails. The suspension will eat anything you want to mash with a give me more attitude. I do have icing issues but will be installing a tunnel enclosure plate like on my wifes Phazer which eliminated any or all build up for around $40.00 (some guys just take out the tunnel protectors and they say that's a major improvement.) As for storage, this is the biggest drawback because there is none. With a $30.00 and 5 minute mod you can buy a exhaust turn out and utilize your tunnel for strapping on extras, they also sell fuel caddies ( 2 x 2.5 gal) which look and act like saddle bags depending how much fuel or goodies you want to bring. I've got 2000kms on with no grief at all with ball joints.
All in all I love the motor it has superior torque and I never get tired of pulling up along side my buddies on there BRP 1200's or Cat 1000's and showing them my tail light. These are not perfect machines and will require you to dial them in or tweak em but they are the most superior turn key sled out there. Oil filter change 12000 miles you bet, 3000 miles on synthetic oil before you change it you bet (that's considered early to) Once you ride one few times you'll be hooked. Any way that's my .02 cents worth.
Good luck and look for a last year new model the dealers will sell them at greatly reduced prices.

Canoehead, I put the tank bag on mine, and just love it. It's the perfect storage bag. I do have saddlebags tooo, but I've hardly ever used them.

I have an 08 nytro and all i did was cut out tunnel protectors to help the tunnel icing,front wheel kit for the sliders.Other than switching colors and some handguards that is all i did and i got 1200 miles on this year trouble free.

They are a little heavier but man nothin has the power like the nytro.I got to ride 800 rush,800 etec,800 cat and they all rode mine.They all said they can't believe how light the front end of the nytro was.Only the etec had some close power but nothin like the torque of the fourstroke....

Thanks a bunch guys. I read some about the front ends on here and from another site. Chatted with a couple anonymous yami owners. I am going to the show in Minneapolis next month and will decide between the new cat xf800, xf1100 turbo, or the xtx. Any more opinions are appreciated.

romie said:
Thanks a bunch guys. I read some about the front ends on here and from another site. Chatted with a couple anonymous yami owners. I am going to the show in Minneapolis next month and will decide between the new cat xf800, xf1100 turbo, or the xtx. Any more opinions are appreciated.

I was one of them that told you my HONEST opinion. For me in stock form there were allot of things that did not meet my expectations. After all the updates I did it is as good as any Nytro will get. I am not brand loyal, I still like the sled but at this point I am ready for a new one and I do not want another Nytro, not because I don't like it but because I done LOVE it enough to buy another one that has basically NO changes from the one I own now. I hope the new sled lives up to the HYPE!

stopdropanroll said:
romie said:

I was one of them that told you my HONEST opinion. For me in stock form there were allot of things that did not meet my expectations. After all the updates I did it is as good as any Nytro will get. I am not brand loyal, I still like the sled but at this point I am ready for a new one and I do not want another Nytro, not because I don't like it but because I done LOVE it enough to buy another one that has basically NO changes from the one I own now. I hope the new sled lives up to the HYPE!

800 XRS?

Nine2Nine said:
stopdropanroll said:
romie said:

800 XRS?

AC XF1100 TURBO SP LE

Its the BEST Yammi I have ever owned. I LOVE my 2010 XTX. I bought it used with many mods that the former owner did like 2" riser, hygear triple rae springs in front and dual rate in rear, powderhound skis,and 153 studs down te middle and it corners like its on a rail. And it is a FUN sled I burp the throttle alot because I LOVE the sound of the engine and my fuel mileage is around 15-16mpg. I hope you join the Yamaha family.

Stopdropandroll. I can't believe the varying opinions. Its the norm though. Just like opinions on anything. I sure do like the fact guys will put it out there whether they like it or not. I am 45 minutes from 4 cat dealers and 10 minutes from a yami dealer. For this reason I was hoping for nothing but good news on the yami. Sure seems to be some quirky stuff with them. Kind of things that would piss a guy off.

Just like any sled you get you do things to make it the way you want , not everybody is the same , sound like you still want a cat thats what you like then get it no matter how good the nytro is i bet you still get a cat , Would i get something differant may be if its something i want but right now nothing out there makes me want to sell and get it well may be the polaris switchback 800 that is bad #*$&@

Back