• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Cat rider with nytro xtx questions

An under tunnel exhaust, if done correctly, could give lots of storage space, add a few horsepower, drop some weight, and some claim it helps with the under tunnel icing.

I think it cleans the sled up and makes it look better also.

Stopdropandroll I think is still making a kit, it looked to have greatly decreased the under tunnel ice. That is the kit I would buy with an aftermarket header to hopefully free up some horsepower.

You go to the Show on April 9th? What did you think?

pm stopdropandroll he sells an undertunnel kit. I pre ordered one and am still waiting for it but im super exited about having some storage besides a tank bag again. he ran his kit on his sled for a lot of miles and said it helped the icing problem alot. :yam:

You can also just use an exhaust turn out that redirects the exhaust stream to shoot out the side. This allows for a guy to use the rear of the tunnel for storage.

Well lets see, my Nytro is an RTX but shouldnt matter.

I have an 08, got it as a leftover last year. Put @2000 miles on so far.

The front end is sloppy. They changed the balljoints before I took delivery but, the bushings are crap. Fix -Summer project is Oilites.

Farthest I went on a tank was 92 miles. Riding aggressive, when I filled up the tank took 7.2 gallons. So, I was on fumes. Fix- fuel caddies from Yamaha. I use one for gas, other side for gear with a windshiled bag.

Ice under tunnel... I spent half a day farting around with aluminum and made my own block off plate that is cut around the stock exhaust.

Handling in corners is good but it takes time to get it right. Toss teh stock skis and I had to shim my rubber mount 3/8". Along with 123,875 other little changes, it corners on rails. Still get a little inside ski lift from time to time but not often at all.

The question you should ask us is, "would you buy another one?".

I would say no. I had to put way too much extra cash/time into the sled to get it rideable. Out of the box ( this is an 08, mind you ) it was like wrestling a 800lb Gorilla. No joke.

Don't get me wrong, I like the sled. The motor is sweet, reliable, etc etc. I just love the low end on this thing. It will pull you out of anything. It just took a lot of doing to get it to where I could ride it with confidence. My other buddy with his 600 ETEC, didn't have to touch a God damned thing.

I have read everything I could get my hands on for the last 6 months and decided to order the 2012 nytro xtx. I think it is easy to get on information overload especially when your going to spend a lot of money as you want to make the best decision. I have read all the major sled boards quite a bit over the last few years and they all have one thing in common, there a lots of people who complain and rant. They over modify things to the point of unreliability and then complain the machine is a piece of crap. They aren't hard to see on the trail either, they have attention seeking behavior and aren't happy unless some is looking at them. Good luck on your choice, they all make some good sleds, but no one except yamaha offers a 5 year warranty, at least not for the cost. I got 3 years for the spring order and $100 for year four and five. That is one heck of a deal I think. Mention 5 years of coverage and see what the other manufacturers say.

I would think any long time cat owner would like the nytro. My ZR was the first thing I thought of when the inside ski came up, just leave your thumb in it and ride it out just like you would the cat. And I think I said it before but as far as mods go yu could spend money till your blue in the face but is it needed... No. I put skies and bars and riser on and I would have done that no matter what sled I bought and for summer mods I have a pretty good list but it's all cosmetic stuff and things like oil shut off teather ( i like the idea of a teather so I may as well get this one ) and skid plate 12v for gps, again all things I would do on any sled.

I liked the cats but the knee area is still a bit goofy for me. There was not many people at the yami display so I got to sit on the xtx quite a bit and it sure felt nice. Seat felt softer than the 11. Picked up non turbo, turbo, and xtx fronts. Cats felt lighter but that could be engine placement and weight distribution. Taking half a day tomorrow and hittin a couple dealers. I'll let ya know.

romie said:
I liked the cats but the knee area is still a bit goofy for me. There was not many people at the yami display so I got to sit on the xtx quite a bit and it sure felt nice. Seat felt softer than the 11. Picked up non turbo, turbo, and xtx fronts. Cats felt lighter but that could be engine placement and weight distribution. Taking half a day tomorrow and hittin a couple dealers. I'll let ya know.

One thing I find very interesting as a Nytro owner is Artric Cat and Polaris guys taking shots at the Nytro, ( Too heavy, no storage don't handle etc) 95% have never been on one and will not try it because they are scared they may like it. I see this attention as a complement. I run with a backpack which I like better than riding a cargo hauler. If I had to order a new sled for next year it would be a tough decision as I have a 09 Nytro that I love so getting a new one would make no sense. It is very easy to keep up on balljoints and the other maintenance when a belt costs $75.00 and lasts a season, a motor that runs forever, no injection oil and will pretty much out run anything to 600 Feet. What you don't see is Skidoo guys running down Nytros and I find that very interesting that the top two brands respect each other and don't need to run in packs to support each other.

My CDN $.02

My main concerns are the lack of fuel storage which means I have to carry it. I am getting into longer overnight rides so that is an issue. If It got 18+ mpg I wouldn't care. I could carry gas in saddle bags but I prefer carrying on top of the tunnel and that will require exhaust mods. As far as weight goes obviously it weights more than a 2 stroker but that's not apples to apples. I am ordering a sled today and still have not picked one.

the four stroke sleds are the best sleds out,,,yamaha being #1

The easiest and cheapest way to carry extra fuel is to relocate your tail light to the the very back, above the rear bumper. Put a 90 degree bend on your muffler. And put a gas can in a rack of some sort.

It worked fine on my 136" nytro, and its damn near free if you don't buy an expensive rack like I did. I laid some Gasket tape down for a little padding too

Back