• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Cats getting it as well

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2015 Sr Viper RTX LE
Is anyone upset at the fact that arctic cat is getting the motor that Yamaha has just made? I understand they have an agreement, but they gave them the 1049 why wasn't that enough? Why did they have to give them this as well? I think its stupid and it takes some of Yamaha Thunder away in my opinion, what do you guys think? Do you think it steals some of Yamaha's Thunder or no

Sure maybe they are taking our shiny new motor as well but I'm betting we wouldn't have that shiny new chassis either. Can't have it both ways.... Just sayin...

You know its funny. I ride green and would say im a die hard cat guy. When Yamaha started this relationship i was not MAD at all. I really feel yamaha builds the best engines and fit and finish is top notch.. I feel Cat has a VERY good chassis. perfect match.. Cat needs and has gotten BETTER with fit and finish since yamaha has joined with them.. Guys this is a win win. Its only going to get better for both. Whats to be mad about?

I think we know Yamaha touts they are a motor company. This is not the first time they have supplied other makes either, think Sno Jet and Rolloflex. Most people have agreed as long as I can remember that when you think of Yamaha in the snomo world the first couple things that come to mind.....fast, realiable, well built. The one thing that they have been knocked for time and time again, ride and handling not as good as brand X, or can't respond to market quick enough.

Now think of Cat, some fast, Yes! Good ride and handling, Yes! Responds to market quickly, yep! Reliable and good fit and finish....Nope!

So I look at this like a good marriage, opposites attract. Hopefully only the positives run off on both makers.

Last edited:
I am so excited about this when I am having trouble sleeping like a little kid lol I am putting my deposit down on a blue one tomorrow and I can't wait
2017 Sidewinder rtx le blue n white. First thing I am doing is taking that nasty looking stock windshield off and putting on the Vipers blue one from last year if it fits

When will people let go of the them (arcticat) and us (yamaha) attitude. It's "we" now! This is a partnership that is not going anywhere! And by the looks of it, it's only going to get better and better. What a sled!

Yamaha will always be building Cat Engines until Cat can get a 4 stroke engine to run like a Yamaha... so there will always be a we in some way shape or form.

This new engine opens up a world of new possibilities for use in Yamaha's new SxS and Arcticat Wildcat SxS as they both are under powered with their n/a engines, so say YES to this partnership...this comes from a RZR rider with an Apex motor conversion...

When I first heard about the partnership I was a little upset but now I will have to say that the two companies together make some awesome machines. I wish the price was closer to 12,000 so I could actually afford this awesome piece of work.

The only people that care about this are the people who are concerned with how many sleds yamaha sells on paper. At the end of the day it's a cat chassis and a Yami motor, and guess what, now Yami is going to be selling a ton of their product (motor). Who cares what color it comes in. More sales = more $. More $ = more investment from yamaha into the industry. WIN WIN WIN

I think we know Yamaha touts they are a motor company. This is not the first time they have supplied other makes either, think Sno Jet and Rolloflex. Most people have agreed as long as I can remember that when you think of Yamaha in the snomo world the first couple things that come to mind.....fast, realiable, well built. The one thing that they have been knocked for time and time again, ride and handling not as good as brand X, or can't respond to market quick enough.

Now think of Cat, some fast, Yes! Good ride and handling, Yes! Responds to market quickly, yep! Reliable and good fit and finish....Nope!

So I look at this like a good marriage, opposites attract. Hopefully only the positives run off on both makers.

well said, and I agree.....It does seem that Yammie is helping the fit n finish side of the green crew...I am very excited to finally see a Yamaha motor engineered from Japan purpose built Turbo, its something many yammie faithful have dreamed about forever. Its just abit muddy when its put into a cat chassis, but it seems like they have redesigned all the plastics with air flow and cooling in mind, and prepared new clutches for the big power, I am loving the approach yammie took here and I can see this being a serious muscle machine in every way.

I think my biggest worry is the handling. I was not impressed with Viper handling when compared to my 1200, and this is mainly due to the motor not being dropped down low enough. Unfortunately in all my reading,i have not seen one thing about lowering the new 998t down into the chassis, which IMO means the chassis itself has not changed(only plastics) and the engine cannot be lowered for the same reasons as Viper could not be.

I will be watching this one intensely, being a power junky many times will trump everything! I wont ever buy another cat as the procross experience I had in 12 is burned into my brain, But I would buy a Yamaha in this chassis with this stellar new Turbo from Japan, and have a good yamaha warranty to back it. I wont ever trust the CAT warranty, their warranty is not worth the words on paper as they dont like to cover things IMO.

Dan

I think my biggest worry is the handling. I was not impressed with Viper handling when compared to my 1200, and this is mainly due to the motor not being dropped down low enough. Unfortunately in all my reading,i have not seen one thing about lowering the new 998t down into the chassis, which IMO means the chassis itself has not changed(only plastics) and the engine cannot be lowered for the same reasons as Viper could not be.

This is also my concern...along with the chaincase

This is also my concern...along with the chaincase

its been awhile since my 12 cat chaincase.....I thought this was all adressed a couple yrs ago with much better gears ect? I could be wrong but the guys with the 16 9000cats seem to be happy so far....lots of raving about their handling too. So I guess i figured this new sidewinder would be good to go there.

Will have to ride one to see if the handling is up to snuff for my taste, no doubt the power will be there!

Dan

Back