• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Chain case issues

Fast Lane

Expert
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2007 Yamaha Nytro ER
Is it normal to have marks from the chain in the gears? I only have marks on the smallest gear. Part number 8FB-17692-00.

I started out with an oil leak. Once inside I noticed the jackshaft bearing closest to the brake calliper was rough and noisy. The oil was dark for how little use it has seen this year. Last season i noticed the oil was getting darker much sooner. I'm not sure if it is just a bearing coming apart or the gear too. I have all new bearings and seals on order with Yamaha.

Attachments

• IMG_2273.jpeg
    IMG_2273.jpeg
    50.4 KB · Views: 69

Yeah, normal. Whole lotta torque being put thru there.

How bad were the filings/sparkles in the oil or didn't you pay any attention?

There was enough. For 100 kms I was shocked on how dark the oil was. I looked over the gears. Washed them down with brake cleaner. They all look good.

I changed the jackshaft bearing behind the secondary this summer. It was really rough.

This year started out with an oil leak. I replaced the big case half rubber gasket and it seemed to have stopped. Next morning there was a bit of a puddle under the case. I decided to pull the case right off and I could see it was leaking a bit from the jackshaft back seal. That’s when I noticed how bad the bearings were.

You're chain tension isn't too tight, putting undue stress on everything is it??

How many miles on the machine? Something does seem odd. Obviously bearings eventually wear out, but everything in there is in a constant oil bath and should last 10k miles at minimum. And in theory much more.

I was thinking maybe the chain was too tight last year. The gear teeth look good on the lower and upper gears though. The jackshaft bearing by the brake just sounds horrid.

It has 8700 kms on it now.

Wow, low miles to have bearings dying, but anything can happen I guess.

Finger tight, and backed off 1/4 turn for tension ?? 75/90 or 80/90 gear oil??

Mobil1 75/90 or Yamaha 80. Since new. So who knows.

IMG_2259.jpeg

i had bearing fail on 05 war at 10000 km in 2013. gear wear was fine on that one.

when i did the chain case bearings at 11000 mi for my own peace of mind on the 2011, i was able to catch my nail in the marks on the big gears. i swapped them in the pre season next (12500 mi) year with a new chain but i think the chain was run too tight for a season at one point due to owner error.

i always get some shavings out every year when i change the oil in chain case. always use synthetic 75w90 or 75w140 and my preferd oil is royal purple.

Back