• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

chain case oil level

ritchie

Pro
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2017 Sidewinder Ltx Le
I went on a big mileage trip and before leaving i could see the sight glass was 1/2 way. On my return I could not see anything. I have since added at least 200ml and can still not see a level and I do not see any signs of leakage. Is there an issue if the oil level is past the 1/2 way mark? The sight glass does look like the oil is very black.

Just had the same problem on LTX DX and dealer replaced chaincase seal with an updated PN. If you lift left ski, you hopefully should see oil.

I went on a big mileage trip and before leaving i could see the sight glass was 1/2 way. On my return I could not see anything. I have since added at least 200ml and can still not see a level and I do not see any signs of leakage. Is there an issue if the oil level is past the 1/2 way mark? The sight glass does look like the oil is very black.
Are you sure the oil level isn't above the glass? I thought mine was low last year because I couldn't see the line in the sight glass. I jacked the back of the sled up so the oil would move forward and I then saw the line. My level was just above the glass and it made it look like there was no oil in the case.

I’d rather have a LIL more oil in there than not enough...

Are you sure the oil level isn't above the glass? I thought mine was low last year because I couldn't see the line in the sight glass. I jacked the back of the sled up so the oil would move forward and I then saw the line. My level was just above the glass and it made it look like there was no oil in the case.
I tipped the sled and my helper could not see anything. I will try jacking up from the back to see if that helps. I have added 250 ml already and cannot see anything. How much of an overfill can the chain case take if that is what I did?

I tipped the sled and my helper could not see anything. I will try jacking up from the back to see if that helps. I have added 250 ml already and cannot see anything. How much of an overfill can the chain case take if that is what I did?
The chain case max fill is supposed to be 355 ml and that will get you right to the center of the sight glass. If you don't see any oil dripping from below the case then where did it go? Some guys are reporting that the chain adjuster bolts have been backing out and all the oil draining out through the hole. I would think that if yours did that you would see some sign of oil. Did you change your oil in the case? Did you adjust your chain tension? If so did you tighten the jam nut on the adjuster? I think you need to remove your muffler and check everything out closely because you should not lose any oil from the chain case.

The chain case max fill is supposed to be 355 ml and that will get you right to the center of the sight glass. If you don't see any oil dripping from below the case then where did it go? Some guys are reporting that the chain adjuster bolts have been backing out and all the oil draining out through the hole. I would think that if yours did that you would see some sign of oil. Did you change your oil in the case? Did you adjust your chain tension? If so did you tighten the jam nut on the adjuster? I think you need to remove your muffler and check everything out closely because you should not lose any oil from the chain case.
After my ride I checked the chain tension and it needed adjusting but the lock nut was not loose.I suspect I have overfilled the chain case. I jacked up the rear and cannot see the level.

https://ty4stroke.com/threads/my-rt...et-the-mods-begin.149801/page-20#post-1406994

Manual calls for 355ml or 12 oz. and watch until you see it in center of sight glass, filling it slowly not all at once as it comes up very slowly on sight glass. You will use a funnel to pour it into the hole where the reverse motor extension goes into backside of case.

Dan

IMG_0576.JPG

Use a syphon and extract as much as required to have sight glass half full or remove as much as posible and then refill with fresh. With only 250 clicks since your last change, you shouldn't have enough filings on the speedo magnets to worry about.

I would slowly jack the right side of sled and watch sight glass. Should see level in glass if too full this way.

Back