• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Chain Case oil-what kind? How much?

Cobalt

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2012 Apex SE
I know this has been posted but I'm having a hard time searching for it?

I have a 07 RTX with reverse and I want to change the chain case oil and I would like to know what is the best oil to put in it and how much will I need? I would like to go with a synthetic but do not want to void any warranties.

Thanks,

Cobalt
:-o

That's what I put in at my first change.. I think it should take 8 1/2 oz. to fill.. It will show it on the full mark without reverse side of the stick... That's just how they seem to check.. If you want just put 8oz. in.. Have fun with the drain bolt underneath.. :jump: :drink: MM.

MadMax said:
That's what I put in at my first change.. I think it should take 8 1/2 oz. to fill.. It will show it on the full mark without reverse side of the stick... That's just how they seem to check.. If you want just put 8oz. in.. Have fun with the drain bolt underneath.. :jump: :drink: MM.

Yeh, that drain bolt is kind of a bugger, but do-able. I just drained mine in order to pull the cover and change the upper gear from a 24 to a 23. I just put one bottle (8 oz) of Yamaha chain case lube in it.

I used full syn Valvoline 75-90 gear lube. I read some other threads here to fill it up the standard line even if you have reverse. I put it 8.5 ounces and it was above the revers full line and below the standard fill line. Also a good time to check the chain tension and adjust. One thing I did notice, I check my oil level after every ride, the synthetic oil STINKS. Doesnt smell burnt like tranny fluid some time does, just STINKS.

I just use the synthetic oil that I use in my engine. Good enough for the engine good enough for the chaincase.

towerrigger said:
I just use the synthetic oil that I use in my engine. Good enough for the engine good enough for the chaincase.

Gear oil needs to be a bit heavy so it "sticks" the the chain and can lube the entire case. I'd watch yours carefully.

AMSOIL Series 2000 Chaincase Oil provides superior protection and performance for enclosed chains. Ideal for snowmobiles, ATVs and general equipment. Extreme pressure additives provide extra wear protection. Extends chain life repels water, and inhibits rust, oxidation and foam. Superior low temperature starting, performance and protection.
Pick it up online at www.ssoiltech.com

Thanks everyone! I just picked up a bottle of 75-90 Mobile One full synthetic gearlube at the Autozone, I hope this works?

Cobalt

Cobalt said:
Thanks everyone! I just picked up a bottle of 75-90 Mobile One full synthetic gearlube at the Autozone, I hope this works?

Cobalt

That is the same stuff I run in mine and it works great. It also complies with Yamaha's requirement of a 75w weight gear oil.

I recommend following the Yamaha shop manual and filling it with 250ml. This will get you above the reverse full line, but a fair bit below the std full line.

If you put in too much, don't worry about it as long as it is somewhere between (or at) the reverse full line and the std full line.

I ran into a little bit of a problem tonight. I usually run Amsoil gear lube in all my stuff. I went to fill the chaincase tonight and ran out before it was full. I had some non-synthetic Rotella gear lube of the same weight. I topped it off with that lube. Am I going to be in trouble running both in there? I wouldn't think there would be a problem, but I thought I would ask the experts.LOL

Lance

thinksnow said:
I ran into a little bit of a problem tonight. I usually run Amsoil gear lube in all my stuff. I went to fill the chaincase tonight and ran out before it was full. I had some non-synthetic Rotella gear lube of the same weight. I topped it off with that lube. Am I going to be in trouble running both in there? I wouldn't think there would be a problem, but I thought I would ask the experts.LOL

Lance
you will be fine! you just won't get the full bennefits of the full synthetic. otherwise it is fine, run it for the year!

Back