• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Open Chaincase without draining engine oil

HydrogenCyanide

Extreme
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2006 Yamaha RS Nytro
2006 Yamaha Apex
I changed both chaincase and engine oil when I bought a new to me 2016 zr7000. I've noticed every time I move the snowmobile it leaks chaincase oil. I bought a new gasket and would like to replace.

Is it possible to remove the chain case cover without having to change the oil? Do I have to do both?

You can just barely open the chaincase enough to let it drain and clean it out with all the oil lines hooked up. If you really want to get at it - the chaincase cover with the oil tank has to get out of the way - which means emptying it and disconnecting the oil lines.

MS

I think I’ll just have to empty the oil. Hopefully I can keep it as it is brand new oil. When I replaced the chain case oil I tried just cracking the case but since I have leak that didn’t work. Likely need the new seal.

Make sure and get the updated cover seal originals are black new ones are orange.

I think I’ll just have to empty the oil. Hopefully I can keep it as it is brand new oil. When I replaced the chain case oil I tried just cracking the case but since I have leak that didn’t work. Likely need the new seal.

Just get a big tupperware container - the kind your mom used to make 'freshie' in. I have had to use something like that to hold good oil as i opened things up. And just poured the oil back in the reservoir when done. Oil is getting expensive so wasting it is not an option these days. Black gold.
MS

No need to empty the oil tank. I've done many chaincase repairs with full oil tank. Just bung the top hose and tip the tank forward(partially upside down). All the lower oil hoses stay connected, but the hose clamp holder/guide needs to come off.

I changed both chaincase and engine oil when I bought a new to me 2016 zr7000. I've noticed every time I move the snowmobile it leaks chaincase oil. I bought a new gasket and would like to replace.

Is it possible to remove the chain case cover without having to change the oil? Do I have to do both?
Actually you can. The hoses that run to oil tank are rubber flexible enough to flex them to fold oil tank forward (obviously must remove muffler). Remove screws that hold lower side panel. Remove return hose (upper outside one) at tank, then fold tank forward by bending the suction hose.

Back