• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Changing out Fox Float to Spring?

Glen1027

Veteran
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2014 Yamaha SR Viper XTX
Any one know if you can swap out your rear Fox Float to a spring shock on a 2014 viper XTX?

Yes but I certainly will not do that on mine. The way I have ours set they ride like a Cadillac on the rough stuff. I would add you really need to change out the front skid shock spring to the same rate as the other model Vipers (change to 135#) to even out the suspension. Then 65 air in the front 100 to 120 air in the back depending on your weight and set skid shock spring where you like the steering.

It's an easy swap to that LXR shock and you will probably enjoy the ride over that mediocre stock rear Fox float. If you ride hard you might find it on the soft side but you could always have it revalved. There has always been more praise for the ride quality with the coil shock version of the Cats over the floats. The stock float becomes harsh quickly once you compress it hard enough or is too soft at lower settings. Unless you add a canister, revalve or clickers, it's pretty much a one trick pony. Like mentioned above, you should be able to find one from a 2013 which I believe is still a fox zero pro, which I would prefer over the new coil overs that Cat now makes themselves.

Check out Zbros or Raptors if you want to step up to some very nice coil overs that won't break the bank, while still giving you preload and compression adjustment with resorviors. A little under $600 a shock.

Wow. I rode a xtx se with air shock and it rode great! You have something wrong. 13 Cats all the guys did was complain about there 141" Ask Hygear. I agree the Z ero pro is a better shock than the Act but not valved correctly.

It's an easy swap to that LXR shock and you will probably enjoy the ride over that mediocre stock rear Fox float. If you ride hard you might find it on the soft side but you could always have it revalved. There has always been more praise for the ride quality with the coil shock version of the Cats over the floats. The stock float becomes harsh quickly once you compress it hard enough or is too soft at lower settings. Unless you add a canister, revalve or clickers, it's pretty much a one trick pony. Like mentioned above, you should be able to find one from a 2013 which I believe is still a fox zero pro, which I would prefer over the new coil overs that Cat now makes themselves.

Check out Zbros or Raptors if you want to step up to some very nice coil overs that won't break the bank, while still giving you preload and compression adjustment with resorviors. A little under $600 a shock.

Your experience and mine on the XTX are very different, I am very fond of the nice soft ride as compared to the Polaris RMK or even the Ski Doo in rough stuff. But ride is a subjective thing and to each his own?

Wow. I rode a xtx se with air shock and it rode great! You have something wrong. 13 Cats all the guys did was complain about there 141" Ask Hygear. I agree the Z ero pro is a better shock than the Act but not valved correctly.

True but the complaints were with the fox float models. Not so much with the coil overs. They may have finally revalved the floats they are currently using. Let's hope. You guys have a float 3 in the rear? I've never compared the valving to the float 2 they were using.

I swapped mine to the Axis rear skid shock from Hygear and it is awesome. On the trails it responds soo much better than the float. On the float at 130 #'s it would buck me over the handlebars on deep ruts. at 110 it would bottom out bad. 120 was ok but in heavy rutte trail the back end was all over the place.

Now I can run through 3' whoops and it stays planted. I also coupled the rear end which helps use both shocks together.

Back