• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

changing sliders! pull out suspension or not? its minus 5

I've never used the reverse method, but I've changed many pairs of slides, including several pairs last season on the side of the trail in -15° weather.

At home, I pull my skid, unscrew the front screws and hammer the slides back using an angled small pri-bar that I have (fits in the screw hole). When I install the new ones I lube it up with a little hot water and non-detergent soap. They slip right on.

I just changed mine about 1/2 an hour ago - in my +25°C shop...

Last season, when we were changing them over and over on a buddies 06 Apex ER when riding in solid ice conditions in Northern Ontario, we would wait until the slides were worn "just" through. Then we'd loosen the rear axle and track. Then tip the sled into the soft snow at the edge of the trail. After removing the screw at the front, we'd use a couple of screw drivers to get the back peeling off and then the two of us would grab the slide and peel it off sideways.

On our 3rd pair we got it down to about a 20 minute job for both sides.

I'm going to head out and install my skid now (also with new bearings everywhere, and my revalved/rebuilt shocks).

BTW, for anyone interested in rebuilding your 07/08 RTX shocks, the Fox tools, including the nitrogen charging needle works fine on the Yamaha shocks.

ReX said:
BTW, for anyone interested in rebuilding your 07/08 RTX shocks, the Fox tools, including the nitrogen charging needle works fine on the Yamaha shocks.

Kind of a change of subject but if you replace the Yamaha rubber charging valve (which is just a piece of rubber which u stick the neddle through) with a thread in 1/8" schrader valve u don't need that fancy needle valve. Did that on my SXR and it works fine.

It's around -20 here this morning. My son's original plan was to pull the skid on his Viper to change the slides, but the temps in the garage changed our minds. We left it on the air table in the heated workshop, jacked up the back, loosened the track and zipped 'em off with an air chisel. Truly about a 10 minute job. His sled doesn't have reverse.

Fortunately, the screw came out easily with a #3PH bit in a ratchet/socket -- no room to swing a hammer on an impact screwdriver unless we'd jacked it way up.

The group at the Muni ride changed about 6 sets of slide in about an hour and a half, including BS'ing, and moving sleds around. Nobody started the sleds up, but rather tipped each sled on it's side, and just gave the track a pull, and it took about 10 seconds to come off.

Guys thanks for all the input! did it tonight when it got a bit colder! All went well and used the reverse trick for the first time! Great site ! see you on lake of bays Dan! Let us know when you are doing the radar runs on Mary Lake again ! :rocks:

Back