• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Check Your Rivets

steiner

Staff member
Have been getting the sled ready over the past few days. Doing the normal bearings, greasing, fluids etc..
Sat on the sled to check the handlebars for alignment due to last year's incident. All was good but notice the footwells had a funning creak when I applied pressure on them. Started to check rivets. Had 4 loose ones on the floorboards. Seeing that the chassis has 17k miles on it I did some more touchy feeling on other rivets and found 10 more on the bulkhead and tunnel the were loose. Good thing I buy them by the box (100pc).
20220105_162549.jpg
20220105_162554.jpg

Thanks for the reminder. Since my 08 Apex has over 19,000 miles, while I have it torn down to the tunnel to replace drive axle and exhaust muffler, I will be sure to check for loose rivets. Gives me another reason for justifying purchasing an air riveter. Thanks to a fellow TY'er's recommendation, I quit purchasing the rivets from Yamaha and went with these rivets from Bay Supply but ordered them on ebay. They too come in packs of 100 are very similar to what Yamaha uses.
Avdel Stavex 0BS01-00618 Multi-GR Blind Rivet; 3/16 Inch (0.187 Inch), (0.059 -
Avdel Stavex 0BS01-00618 Multi-GR Blind Rivet; 3/16 Inch

I’ve lost count of how many rivets I’ve replaced on high mile Deltabox sleds, it’s definitely a thing.

did the 2011 last year during pre season after talking with viper dave as he was doing his for loose/smoking rivets. i did them all with the fuel tank and chain case pulled as i found some of those loose as well.

I just had to replace all the rivets holding my heat exchangers on. They were literally hanging by a thread.
20231202_154827.jpg

Back