• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Clutch cleaning

Carpet Guy

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Yamaha sidewinder
How often and what's everyone's method for cleaning the inner

Air after almost each ride! (300/500km) Belt removed ...

Red scotch brite first and the final touch whit acetone

IMO, it seems like acetone will actually clean better than most anything else. When I talked to Timken about a month ago, they recommended to use acetone, not brake cleaner.
P.S. Do not wash belts.

IMO, it seems like acetone will actually clean better than most anything else. When I talked to Timken about a month ago, they recommended to use acetone, not brake cleaner.
P.S. Do not wash belts.
Does acetone come in a aerosol can?

P.S. Do not wash belts.
Why not?

Old School to wash belts!
Back in the old days, belt manufacturers did use mold release agents when making belts so it was beneficial to put belts through dishwasher. Not any more. Modern manufacturing technologies don't need or use any release agents so we should not wash today's belts. BTW- nor should anyone clean belt w acetone or similar cleaners. Those chemicals do break down the rubber bonding agents in belt and are detrimental.

Cleaning power and extremely fast evaporation w acetone. I think if you do a little test you'll see. Wipe your clutch with brake cleaner then wipe same clutch w acetone and clean rag. I think you'll see the acetone takes stuff off that brake cleaner doesn't?

Cleaning power and extremely fast evaporation w acetone. I think if you do a little test you'll see. Wipe your clutch with brake cleaner then wipe same clutch w acetone and clean rag. I think you'll see the acetone takes stuff off that brake cleaner doesn't?
No, I mean't, why not wash belts but if they claim no release agents anymore, maybe you don't have to. But I still wash with some Dawn detergent and let dry over my propane heater. Can't hurt, right?

Let’s try not to beat turbo up to much here. He is making a point. I like brake cleaner because I can spray it into the rollers and all the tight spots. I’m guessing for the actual inside sheaves yes acetone is maybe slightly better. Green scotch pad and brake cleaner has been my go to. But I may just try acetone on INSIDE SHEAVES. Keep them clean no matter what you use is better then doing nothing to them. I NEVER treat my belts.

No, I mean't, why not wash belts but if they claim no release agents anymore, maybe you don't have to. But I still wash with some Dawn detergent and let dry over my propane heater. Can't hurt, right?
According to engineers at Timken, Dayco, and Gates, with today's belts, we should not wash them. The soap leaves residue on and IN the belt surface you cannot rinse off. Their point was is it just not necessary nor advisable. But, of course, everyone makes their own decision. :)

If mine gets real dirty, I go in house when wife’s not there, spray the clutch down with simple green and then run it thru the dishwasher, it get everything off, make sure wife’s not home.

Back