• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Clutch cleaning

If mine gets real dirty, I go in house when wife’s not there, spray the clutch down with simple green and then run it thru the dishwasher, it get everything off, make sure wife’s not home.
Awesome lol I must try this!!

Never had a problem, your sled is in a wet environment ,you ever see the clutch soaked from condensation ? There is a nice heat cycle at the end that will dry the clutch.

Turboflash, the water from being soaked in dishwasher doesn't hurt the bushings?
Technically, probably not but I've never done it. Don't know how hot the dry cycle gets. Would want to check it with a thermometer. Heat is the enemy of clutches. I just don't like the idea that there could be soap residue in bushings, under spider buttons, etc. I know lots of people have been using the dishwasher for years so it must be ok?

Straight up compressed air 4-5 times a season.
Don't forget to clean out the starter drive too.
Pre-season prep, and if the spirit moves me in season, also includes a gentle scotch bright acetone scrub. Not soaked.
Some 220 grit sandpaper followed by a damp acetone rag wipe down. When the rag is clean, clutch is clean.
External parts, that I can get too, get a damp acetone rag wipe to remove belt dust.
Only washed a belt once in over 25 years. Did not like how it engaged, compared to an un-washed belt, until it was broke in.
No more washing for me.
Clutches & belts a meant to run dry.
Current machine has aprox 7000 miles. Clutches, and components, show minimal wear at best.
Including the original belt. I don't spin the track when riding. Why would I want the track moving faster than the machine?
Going to keep doing what I'm doing.

Dishwasher??
You guys are freakin crazy, that’s some nasty stuff.
Does all that black nasty dust which stains your fingers or hands when touched, wash out of the dish washer 100% after done?

Heated pressurized parts washer has worked great for me in the past on some project clutches, once I take the cover off and remove primary spring, but that was at the shop at work.

On this 17 Winder of mine, I just clean it with air and a few smaller brushes during my pre season maintenance so far.

When I first got my Winder and blew a couple of belts, well then both clutches came apart for inspection and cleaning.
Then again, I have had a few years when my season mileage was pretty low.

Back