• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Clutch Damage

Froggy

Lifetime Member
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2020 Winder LTX SE 14600 km and counting
2016 Viper LTX LE 23986 km sold
2015 Viper LTX DX Wife's 19500 km
2010 Vector LTX GT 25000 km sold
I went for an extended ride last Saturday and at the 600 km mark of a 730km day I started to feel a small rumble when I was on the throttle in the 6000-to 7000 rpm range which I thought was a bad idler wheel but did not find anything wrong in the skid during a trail side stop. On a later stop when the noise got a little louder I saw lots of belt dust on the body work around the gas cap on my Viper. This is what I discovered when I removed the side panel. The belt was sitting low in the secondary buy about 1/4" and there was aluminum fillings in the belt between all the drive cogs on the inside of it and you can see the belt is damaged on the inside area right in the middle. The only thing the I found that could of caused this is the belt guard had a bolt in the middle of the guard on the underside that fastens the guard to a brace going up to the handle bar area that was no longer there. Has anyone seen something like this before and do you think that this was my problem. I hand sanded the secondary sheaves and used a sanding sponge on the primary with the engine spinning in order to clean her up for the rest of the season until I ponder my next move. This is a 2016 Viper ltx with 17000 km, Big Venom kit and the 8 DN belt. Any insight and knowledge would be greatly appreciated.
Perry
primary clutch.jpg
secondary clutch.jpg

Back