• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Clutch Noise Sollution?????

how big of a job is this? is it a fairly technical job or can someone who's reasonably mechanically inclined (w/ no sled experience) do it?

I thought yamaha used the longer bolts for a reason, cheaper I guess. It didn't make sense to me, l put o rings on but took them off as I didn't want to mess anything up.

Keep us posted

FJR1300 said:
Its about a 3-4 beer job. Not very technical.

I'll just have to do some quick math to convert that to whiskey.

the orings have been used for years...nothing to mess up....either the washer or the O ring is used to keep the tightened slightly too long bolt with nut than needed from rattling...

I surmise theres been slight changes to the width of the pocket and they already had the slightly too long bolts in their parts inventory..

make sure its inside on the shaft and fills the deadspace so theres no space left between the nut and the clutch itself

good call SJ.

I have not used rubber washers but if they can work themselves up onto the collar the bolt will still be able to slide back and forth making the noise.

I just went to Home Depot and bought some #10 Nylon washers and installed them. It did not make one bit of difference for me. I was getting excited when I read this post as I absolutely hate the noise clutch makes. Oh well.....

I had the spyder gear shimmed by by dealer last season as well as I heard that was a fix as well but only had a marginal affect.

mytro said:
fxnytroxtx said:
I used ruber o rings and its not working.

I'm pretty sure I read on here that this is not the area where most of the noise is coming from.

okay lets communicate this effectively...

fxnytroxtx....where did you use them ....please describe..

mytro...where didyou think its not the area where the noise is coming from and where do you think it is coming from?

I am assuming that you put them in the same place as I did and I've got to say it's a little discouraging that this did not help the noise.

my machine only has 1500km's on it so possibly it is the only part of the clutch making a noise at this point. hope this is not the case.

Back