• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

CLUTCHING ADVISE NEEDED

noszed

Veteran
I have 06 apex with mcxpress rear mount running 15 # with rb3 controller (turbo keiths map). Currently running supertips(60 gram base) with tungstens in heel, 6 washers mid, 6 washers tip,15.5 rollers and oronge siliver orange spring.Shockwave secondary with epi purple at 1 and 0. shockwave at two turns out. does not seem to backshift very well when off and on the throttle? any help?

Listen to Turk!
I run similar, 14g heel, 8g middle and 4g tip, but you might want to change to another primary spring that is softer @ the end.

I am no expert, but I feel that back shifting is mostly controlled by the abbility of the secondary clutch to close quickly when it is not loaded by the drive clutch (on the throttle).

That being said. It might be a good idea to try increasing the tention of your secondary spring? Possibly try the 3 - 3 setting for an easy inexpensive change?

P.S. Turk knows his clutching, becase of him I was able to run 9.73 @ 131.12 MPH on the tar this summer.

I have found that the epi purple loses tension fairly quickly, try twisting it alittle tighter, back off the shockwave to 1 1/2 or 1 3/4, and put 14.5 rollers in the primary. then you will need to adjust wieght most likely less wieght due to the smaller rollers. but they will give your more belt pressure which is needed.

Turk adressed the specific problem "backshift", with a straight forward solution, but as always we all have our opinions for "the perfect setup", thats the way we all learn, we listen and try.

I wouldn't recommend twisting the secondary spring any more, the pretension with an EPI Purple set to 0-1 is very high, much higher then with a Yamaha white twisted 3-3.

In the end clutching is depending of riding style!

I just took 2 grams of weight out of each tip. also I looked at secondary and it is at 1 and 9 not 1 and 0? I not sure how much tension?

What is your engagement rpm? Do the rpm's drop after engagement? If so, what do they drop to? What kind of speed are you talking about when it doesnt back shift? Is it low speed boondocking or the wide open hill climbs?

I too have the same question about clutching for a MCX turbo Apex. I'm running their pump gas 265 hp kit and the boost varies depending on elevation. I'm running Yamaha weights with two 17 gram rivits which equals 57.7 grams and blue/green/blue primary spring. It has a 53 helix with white spring wound 9/1. It pulls just under 11,000 rpm and sometimes hits the rev limiter in certain snow conditions and it feels a little off while boondocking through the trees. I'm going to try unwinding the clutch to 6/3 or 6/2 and possibly a different helix.

What are others running with similar kits? Elevation we ride in is between 5000-9000 feet.

Thanks... ;)!

Cooter123 said:
I too have the same question about clutching for a MCX turbo Apex. I'm running their pump gas 265 hp kit and the boost varies depending on elevation. I'm running Yamaha weights with two 17 gram rivits which equals 57.7 grams and blue/green/blue primary spring. It has a 53 helix with white spring wound 9/1. It pulls just under 11,000 rpm and sometimes hits the rev limiter in certain snow conditions and it feels a little off while boondocking through the trees. I'm going to try unwinding the clutch to 6/3 or 6/2 and possibly a different helix.

What are others running with similar kits? Elevation we ride in is between 5000-9000 feet.

Thanks... ;)!

First of all, White spring @ 9/1 is a big no, max 6/1, else it binds!
And if you loosen the secondary to 6/1 or 3/3 you stop bounce on the rev limiter.
But for boondocking the helix seem a bit to aggressive, shallower helix with softer primary spring for your condition, but i don't have any exact setup for you @ your altitude.

Back