• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

code 42 and 84

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2018 rtx se
2011 apex xtx
to all the gurus on here ... had these 2 codes come up the other day ... according to all that ive read on here last night ... everything was pointing to a bad bearing . i replaced the bearing with a new one this morning but the old brearing was as good as the new . how possible is it that it could be speed sensor or sensor connection.

I'm not aware of a bad bearing itself generating an error code BUT if the bearing that fails is the drive axle bearing on the clutch side and it causes the speedo gear that's bolted onto the end of the drive axle to chew into the speed sensor, then a code (42) could be generated. Generally, you can see visible damage to the speed sensor but if the bearing is good as you say, then maybe the speed sensor or its connector is causing the code 42.

I'm not aware of a bad bearing itself generating an error code BUT if the bearing that fails is the drive axle bearing on the clutch side and it causes the speedo gear that's bolted onto the end of the drive axle to chew into the speed sensor, then a code (42) could be generated. Generally, you can see visible damage to the speed sensor but if the bearing is good as you say, then maybe the speed sensor or its connector is causing the code 42.
yepper ...bearing is as good as new....no marks on sensor .....thinking maybe sensor is pooched.... i did unplug it and pluged it back together... plug felt tight..... have to wait for more snow now to try it again...thanks for input

I had those codes come up last year. If memory serves ( it doesn't ) I believe it is connected to the "TORS" whatever that is.
I thought I had a faulty speed sensor too and replaced it ( $ 100 + ). Same thing.
Rode the sled a bit and codes went away. I could induce the problem by slipping thumb off throttle making sled think I had fallen off.
I think it acts like a dead-man switch on a boat. Sled runs like crap then no speedo then after a while it resets.
Again, this happened last year and I will have to re-learn the particulars, but I don't think you have a problem.

well finally got to try the sled again today after replacing the bearing....low and behold .. same thing....but this time the speedo went out showing 0 mph for 15 miles....changed out the sensor and it is back to normal

Back