• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Coil Tabs Broke

Daryl1

While disassembling for an oil change, I noticed that 2 of my coils have broken tabs. This is where the coils are bolted to to the engine. Will this affect the coils performance? Thanks for the help, and great site!!

as long as the coil stays connected to the spark plugs it should be ok the rx1 never had the retaining screws,the apex its a bit harder to get at and i suspect they put them on for a reason, if it works ok you have nothing to lose except for inconvienince if it starts acting up

i would think this would not cause a problem at all. when changing plugs on my apex i had a heck of a time getting the caps off they stick in ther pretty tight.thought about not even putting the bolts back in...

A pic here would be nice to see what it look like but if it is as simple as a crack that broke I would think that you could put a washer between the bolt head and coil pack tab. That should keep it from wanting to come loose. But I am with the other two, I wouldn't think it wouldn't cause a problem. I changed my plugs and oil the other day and those packs where on pretty tight so can't really see them coming loose.

I'm with the others. The packs are a bear to remove in the first place. Your car doesn't have anything holding the caps on does it? Most engines don't, including sportbikes with very similar engines. The washer idea is your fix as Dab discribed.

Back