• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Comparing The Rx1 or Warrior with the New Apex

Bob Miller

TY 4 Stroke Master
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Present Sled: 2011 Yamaha Apex 128
OK, I have an 04 Warrior with 16K on it and I have had it since it was new, it still runs great but I'm thinking of getting a new Apex, maybe a 2012 leftover! Is there any body that has a new Apex that has also owned an RX1 or Warrior? I'm looking for feedback or a detailed comparison between the two sleds! THANKS............ :Rockon:

i went from a 05 war to a nos 2011 apex xtx this season and i think sasquatch did as well.

i am still in the process of setting mine up to suit me but over all it handles pretty close to the same as my war did. the seat foam is a lot stiffer and i had to turn down the torsion springs on the jan ty ride where i broke it in.

clutching is a bit more agressive than the war on take off and as i run without studs, you notice it trying to take off with loose snow on ice.

slider wear is about the same as in that it usually wears to a point and stops. just have to check by the rear small idler more on the xtx as that is where that skid wears.

only mods to apex other than settings atm are 6" stud boy carbides on the stock skis, a-arm gaurds, skid plate and rock's power supply. war had full set of olins, curve skis, real cool wheels, 4" riser, ulmers clutching, holtzman green springs, a-arm gaurds, skid plate, xenon headlamp bulbs and sleigh hitch. curves are going on the apex once i get the rubbers for them.

anything else you want to know?

I have owned all the different Apex's. I now ride an 05 Warrior. The only thing I honestly missed was the seating position of the Apex's so I installed an Apex seat.

Attachments

• warrior (640x361).jpg
    warrior (640x361).jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 1,348
Found a GOOD deal on 2011 Apex leftover! Brand new $9499! I purchased it :Rockon: Could not find any better deals than this! :sled1:

Bob Miller said:
What kind of MPG are the new Apex's getting?

I have 1092 miles on mine and currently averaging 13.5 mpg. '13 Apex XTX 171 1.34" studs, Power Commander V and Ulmer Air Box lid.

I rode a friends '03 RX1 this winter for about 10 miles on good trails with a few bumpy spots.

Here's my thoughts....

1. It felt like a dog compared to my Apex. Not that it was slow, but it just wasn't as quick to rev/throttle response. Maybe his clutching is off?? Maybe I'm just spoiled by FI vs Carb??

2. Rode like a pile of $hit!! That old Pro-Action skid sucks!!

3. Sat too low.

IMO... Apex all the way if your budget allows.

My biggest issue with the new Apex, 2010+ is the small gas tank and reduced range. I get 12.5 -14 mpg, with the old apexes I was always the last needing fuel, with the smaller tank and slightly less mpg, plus others getting better mileage, I am now the 1st needing fuel. Don't like always worrying about if we need to keep riding or head back. Maybe it's time for a Vector, or something else.

sk-rx1 said:
My biggest issue with the new Apex, 2010+ is the small gas tank and reduced range. I get 12.5 -14 mpg, with the old apexes I was always the last needing fuel, with the smaller tank and slightly less mpg, plus others getting better mileage, I am now the 1st needing fuel. Don't like always worrying about if we need to keep riding or head back. Maybe it's time for a Vector, or something else.

Not sure what model you have but if you have any sort of Extenion on the back, can always add a small gas tank to back?

i have a 06 s/c apex i made a fuel tank that goes on the tunnel ex also home made tanjk looks like the apex seat holds 11.5 liters hooked up to the vent like a tour buddy uses the fuel in it first works and looks great

Hey Bob I love my 11 XTX! Now long ago I swapped out the Pro-Action skid for an ZX2 on my warrior so I have to compare to that. The XTX rides a bit stiffer then My ZX2 as in not as plush. The XTX will pound the moguls like a champ. Again not as plush as the XTX but the old pro action is no comparision to the XTX in ride or ability to suck up a bump in any way shape or form. Overall I like the XTX rear skid for my increadable Bulk after I softened the clicker to two clicks from full soft (it was at 8 clicks from full soft and rode hard). It works well and rivals the ZX2 in everything but plushness. Nothing except the Mono ride as soft. People who have tried both give the nod to the Mono for plush but the ZX2 for plush and ability to pound the rough stuff.

The XTX however can handle way rougher pounding then I ever dreamed of with the ZX2 (and it could handle rough trail) but thats taking into account my weight. The XTX is happy to have me on its back where as I needed to put stiffer springs in the ZX2 to handle my Butt. So lighter people will have a different experiance. I am running the springs at max hard, clicker at two clicks from full soft and it is perfect. Rough trail or luggage I can add a few clicks as needed.

Did some off trail riding or maybe one could say we where breaking open a trail to groom it so we where packing the trail. Knee deep snow and the XTX never trenched once taking off but the SkiDoo long track Renegade trenched a couple times on start up. Could be operator gunning the throttle or just bad luck where he parked on his part but the XTX would leave with no problem when stopped in deep snow. Also we had to turn around in the deep powder because of trees down on the trail. The XTX would back up in the powder but the Doo had instant trouble. The Nytro XTX got buried but did back up well. The extended to 144 Pro action turned around with no problems. Again it does not take into account that we where all parked in different parts of the trail with the Pro-Action being more down hill and the Doo on more flat ground. I do think though that the tipped rail helps the XTX's back up in deep snow better.

Now the handling part of it. With stock ski's the XTX pushed real bad but had no ski lift. I swapped my Curve XS ski's on with the 8 inch shaper bars and push disappeared but ski lift returned. Nothing extreem it is controlable and a non issue with me. It is about the same as my Warrior and I dropped the front of the Warrior and change the sway bar to a 12mm on that to make it handle better. The XTX is stock with an 11.75mm sway bar and the front at factory settings or slightly down angled on the A arms. I think I am going to swap the shapers for round bars and see how they work. The power steering makes the shaper bars less agressive and managable. On the Warrior they where a arm workout.

Power is stronger all around but shines when you hit it at 30mph it just jumps to 60plus in a heartbeat. Not that the carbed motors are not strong. They have always impressed me. The fuely is impressive and as far as throttle response and has the carbed sled beat hands down in that respect. I have only managed 95mph on GPS so far but I only have 400 miles on the motor and have not pinned it for extended runs yet. Its now hitting 10,500 so its starting to loosen up.

I am getting used to the touchy throttle as compared to the carbed sled. It seems to be harder to control when you want a steady but slow speed. On tight twisty real slow speed bush trails weaving back and forth at first I was on off the throttle all the time and could not seem to control slow speed driving. Now I have mastered the throttle control and have that sorted out a bit better. I can maintain a slow steady speed without chopping the throttle only to get back on it again which makes for a herky jerky ride! Its not a problem with the sled its just CV carb thing I'm used to I'm thinking.

Someone else will have to respond that bought an SE I can't say what they are like but I would think with the air suspension front and rear they are way more plush of a ride. As groomed trails may disappear around here from lack of support the XTX just seemed like a better sled for the long run for me. Well that and its ability to handle my weight. I talked to Turk about his 11 XTX and as he was a larger fellow like myself and I had rode with him a few times and knew how he rode. I thought the sled would handle me fine and it does so far!

I went from a 2004 Warrior to a 2005 RX-1 to a 2006 Apex and now a 2011 SE. If your a small guy like me, I can't believe you stuck with the warrior this long. From what I can tell, a big guy doesn't have anywhere as much trouble handling a warrior but I sure did unless driving slowly. RX-1 was nice but everything broke suspension wise. Love my 2006 Apex but Power steering is wonderful and throttle response much better. Your gonna love the Apex. Sitting position is worlds apart. Did 400kms yesterday and still fresh today.(':-o') Good Luck

Back