• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Coolant Shut Off Valve

Buckeye said:
I rode 900 miles in 4 days in Quebec last year with the coolant shut off except in the morning to start the sled.
I don't understand why the shut offs aren't installe at the factory.

Actually, morning starts are when you don't need the shut-off open....... the electric heaters warm the carbs until cold engine light goes off.
I think RX1Frank is correct, Yamaha is very concerned about carb ice, so they don't install them.
.......having said this, I also installed one.

Bob Miller said:
RX1Frank
What was the temperature on the lake that day when this happened to you?
On a 1999 V-Max 700 which had the valve on it already, Greqoire Sport in Canada told me to only use it when the temperature got down to zero, and that's what I did, and I never had any issues ;)!
What is the difference in gas mileage?
I understand the engine will also start easier when hot if you have the coolant valve in the off position.

The temp was about +4 celcius. The mileage increase was approximatly 3 litres on a fill up. I have been judging this on the consumption of my '97 SX700. Week after week we are just a couple of litres per fill up apart. Generally my son and I ride about the same speed when we travel and that is how I am making the comparison. I do understand that riding conditions and style play a large role in fuel consumption. When I used the shutoff my milage was way better than the SX's . The main reason that I installed the valve was to ease the starting when hot. This definitly helps. TurboGeorge came up with a heat shield that seems to help as well.

Back