• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

cracked rail

DUTCH OVEN

Extreme
I was checking out my rear skid today before ride, 08 LTX and noticed the support rail was cracked again. Between both sides I replaced these things 3 times each totall of 6 now. Anybody else have this problem.

Yes.
Have 3 riding partners with Attaks and 2 of them have cracked the rails as well. Think it's more common than we think.
The cracked rails are due to the force or twisting of the rail applied by the independent rear idler wheel mounts. Eventually the rails crack at the rear pivot arm bolt hole.
To stop this from happening again, I got rid of the rear idler wheel mounts and installed a solid axle with the idlers attached. If you look at a 2010 skid Yamaha did something similar except with no idlers on the shaft.
I'll post some pics when I get a chance.

berge75 said:
Yamaha dosen't warranty rails.
I dont know if they do now but they use to i had mine replaced on warranty.

I have cracked 2 rails as well on a 08 ltx. Interested in seeing the 2010 spacer long track is talking about. I bought the spacer and ready rod and forgot where I was going to put it over the summer lol!

cracked rails

Mine cracked too right by the rear mounting bolts for the rear suspension. Took to a local shop and had it welded and a reinforcement plate put in for fifty dollars. Trust me it will never crack again. Very simple fix for a good machine shop.

Pics as mentioned, first pic my sled with idler wheel axle (skid a little dirty from snirt) and SS backer plate, 2nd pic 2010 LTX.

axle001.jpg

winter09021.jpg

I did the same thing on my 08 the first year I owned it.Used the one out of my 03 viper,as a trial,fits perfectly wheels and all.Got 10000k on mine now and no cracks.

Back