• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

cure for cabin fever

dwh039

Extreme
So it's been -25 to -45 for the last 40 days, and the kids are getting a little cabin fever. I usually pull them down the trail once a week in the Equinox enclosed sleigh( http://www.akmining.com/snowcoach_enclo ... quinox.htm ), but even at these temperatures a 3 and 5 year old don't produce enough heat in there to stay warm. I'm looking at tapping into the coolant system on the phazer and running coolant lines back to the sleigh and heating the interior with a rad system of some sort. Before and after the tunnel cooler looks like the easiest place to gain access to warm coolant. Does anyone know what size coolant hose is used on the phazer? and anyone else have a better idea or sees any flaws in what I'm about to do? Would like to buy some fittings and hose, before I tear into this project. Thanks in advance for any comments.

Very badd idea with the coolant lines, very cool snowcoach though.

Go electric heater route. Maybe use a car battery and you could run power back to sled with a isolator for charging it.

I looked into the electric format, but a 12V system doesn't give you much heat. Especially when you start putting batteries in a Sub -20 environment. I would have to pull a lot of power from the phazer charging system to keep this rolling on the sleigh. Plus a 150W 12V interior heater only puts out roughly 500btu, when compared to a small coolant ran heater that puts out 12,000btu. In summer time weather a standard car battery with 50 Ah rating would be able to run the heater for about 3 hours. Put that same battery in the arctic environment and I might get 30 minutes, unless I heat the battery as well. If I used automotive grade fittings and valves, I can't see the coolant route being detrimental to the system. Or am I missing something.

10 ft of line and connectors adds a big risk of leaks or air pockets. Not even sure if waterpump would circulate it enough to keep all of it warm. What about one of those old heaters like VW's had way back?

MNicefisher said:
How about a small electric heater ran off a small generator mounted on the back of the snow coach?

You know I never thought about going the 110v route with the use of a generator. Would just need to build a bigger carrying platform on the back and wire the inside for 110V. Run a heater or heated blanket. I've got a 2000W inverter generator sitting around doing nothing for the winter, might as well use it. -59C with the wind chill at the moment, so looks like I will have some inside time to start the build. Thanks for all the comments.

I got a little honda 1000 watt that is very quiet and really good on gas. A little bathroom heater should be safe for your kids not to get burnt on.

cannondale27 said:
10 ft of line and connectors adds a big risk of leaks or air pockets. Not even sure if waterpump would circulate it enough to keep all of it warm. What about one of those old heaters like VW's had way back?

You know I originally had an idea with a modified VW system, but instead of pumping heated air off the cylinder heads or exhaust manifolds, I was thinking about placing a heat sink on the exhaust under the seat and running a separate coolant system back to the sleigh. basically mount a radiator under the muffler that heats the coolant and have a 12v pump mounted on the sleigh with its own battery to circulate. But I gave up on the idea when I started crunching the numbers of what size heat sink would be needed to capture enough energy to transfer back. Actually it was the same concept as what Deutz used on air cooled tractors in the 60's and 70's, except they used motor oil or kerosene instead of antifreeze in their system.

I'd do a generator with a queen size electric blanket as it will kee them super warm.....
Would not recommend the water lines...too risky for me..

Electric doesnt put out much heat, yeah, but it would be a hell of a lot easier, and safer. Generators would get bounced around pretty hard.

Maybe use the car battery with small heater and give the kids those hot packs for their hands and feet. Put "reflectix" bubble foil on the seat? sitting outside in cold around a fire that reflectix seems to really work. Charging a deep cycle battery every trip seems easy to me.

Good luck whatever route you choose.

dwh039 said:
So it's been -25 to -45 for the last 40 days, and the kids are getting a little cabin fever. I usually pull them down the trail once a week in the Equinox enclosed sleigh( http://www.akmining.com/snowcoach_enclo ... quinox.htm ), but even at these temperatures a 3 and 5 year old don't produce enough heat in there to stay warm. I'm looking at tapping into the coolant system on the phazer and running coolant lines back to the sleigh and heating the interior with a rad system of some sort. Before and after the tunnel cooler looks like the easiest place to gain access to warm coolant. Does anyone know what size coolant hose is used on the phazer? and anyone else have a better idea or sees any flaws in what I'm about to do? Would like to buy some fittings and hose, before I tear into this project. Thanks in advance for any comments.

An inexpensive solution is one of the 12V Car Blankets they sell. They don't draw much power, but in that they're out of the wind, it might be all you need. Heated jackets for motorcycling could also be an option, but they draw 90w ea. and I don't think the electrical system is up to the challenge.

Back