• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sidewinder runs hot 200°+......cure!

I believe it because my Attak was always overheating until I changed to 50/50 with a bottle of water wetter. Had much more impact than scratchers as far as I could tell.

I’ve said before with my Winder I just ride faster and she cools down. Snowy or icy it doesn’t matter. Winder gets hot sitting still, riding basically never. Bare roads are a different story of course.

I wonder if the Amzoil Coolant Boost would have helped this guys sled or maybe he wasn't using ice scratchers?

Fire.jpg

I believe it because my Attak was always overheating until I changed to 50/50 with a bottle of water wetter. Had much more impact than scratchers as far as I could tell.

I’ve said before with my Winder I just ride faster and she cools down. Snowy or icy it doesn’t matter. Winder gets hot sitting still, riding basically never. Bare roads are a different story of course.
Years ago, when I worked at a dealer, it was always the 'cruisers' that had overheating issues. The guys that rode fast rarely did.

I've always believed that 50/50 with Water Wetter was the FIRST step.
I don't care if you run straight water, there are times you'll NEED scratchers if you ride a lot on groomed trails. Just the odds. But i haven't needed them the last 2 years.
That said, at idle this 'Winder heats up quick. Since i'm always ahead, i'll turn my sled off at every stop.
I've also noticed when running a bit hot, SPEEDING up will bring the temps down. Studs also help kick some chunks up.

As far as the water pump, i've heard it helps the pump with additives, but i added it to my Duramax & the pump started leaking within 10 minutes.
I've had this product help lower my temps on 2 bikes & 3 sleds.
Both my trucks i've noticed nothing.

This products' main purpose is to eliminate air bubbles to improve heat transfer.

So, yesterday i was approached by a father & son. With same overheating issues. His issues since new in '17. Mostly riding in questionable snow. 4oz Coolant boost, same positive results. As I found that out this morning. And they played it forward to another rider.
So, definitely going to be three positive stories in three days. If not, I'll post back with third guys findings.

Bare roads...end of last year, trying to find the trail that was changed, ran up and down a bare road looking. Went into limp mode twice..not sure what the temp was, 2 something but dropped into a field after sitting for a while and squeezed the 'air flow accelerator' lever..lol...temp drops fast at speed
Not much loose snow.

Hello. Sidewinder warms up when there is little snow. Antifreeze from the factory. Today I measured the temperature of antifreeze on a cold engine. Do I need to remove antifreeze and add distilled water? Or do you need to add antifreeze?

Who knows the article of the factory yellow-green antifreeze?

Sidewinder B-TX LE 153, model year 2020.Screenshot_20211101_203122.jpgScreenshot_20211101_203102.jpg

Last edited:
Hello. Sidewinder warms up when there is little snow. Antifreeze from the factory. Today I measured the temperature of antifreeze on a cold engine. Do I need to remove antifreeze and add distilled water? Or do you need to add antifreeze?

Who knows the article of the factory yellow-green antifreeze?

Sidewinder B-TX LE 153, model year 2020.View attachment 163347View attachment 163348
My Apex and Vectors do too, light comes on with low snow. One solution was go faster let the track cool the exchanger; Sidewinder runs around 170 all the time, but when you stop the temp gauge goes well over 200. Went into stutter mode twice on bare roads, maybe a mile or so.

The overheating indicator does not light up, I stop and turn off the engine to cool down. The maximum temperature I saw is 85c, then I turn it off. It's not convenient. It is impossible to drive on a solid track.

for where i live, that is not enough anti freeze. guys have had sucess with adding water wetter and/or scratchers to help keep them cool.

Years ago, when I worked at a dealer, it was always the 'cruisers' that had overheating issues. The guys that rode fast rarely did.
I stand corrected. Last March 16-18th we were riding the Kap and surrounding area while maintaining high speeds. Lots of snow but in the morning when the trail was froze, the Winders were overheating but the Apex's were not. No one had ice scratchers which I agree will help. One sidewinder stock. I would like to see a small rad with fan or some sort of additional cooling. The Winder with all the exhaust under hood adds a lot of heat.

Most aren't bled properly initially from factory.
Yep, that was my problem for the first two years of owning my sled. Made sure it wasn’t pure antifreeze, added water wetter, and then read from others on here that were having similar issue.

It took 3 tries of really Picking the front end up as much as I could, with a chain fall and 8’ garage ceilings.

3 tries, 1 each weekend prior to riding, and once it bled out all of the air, it was a different sled.

Went from always in limp mode (211F) and much higher, even on packed trail with fresh snow, to a sled that runs in the 168 - 172 range mostly, with occasional 180 - 190 if in terrible conditions like dirt logging roads.

I had bled my sled a couple of times prior but to no avail! I learned to run scratchers and run all of my shocks on 1, to help lower sled but still had overheating problems compared to other Sidewinders.

Thanks to those on here with their great knowledgeable experiences, and for passing that on!

There were a few whose post I read, and I remember following Turboflash’s method I think!

Yep, that was my problem for the first two years of owning my sled. Made sure it wasn’t pure antifreeze, added water wetter, and then read from others on here that were having similar issue.

It took 3 tries of really Picking the front end up as much as I could, with a chain fall and 8’ garage ceilings.

3 tries, 1 each weekend prior to riding, and once it bled out all of the air, it was a different sled.

Went from always in limp mode (211F) and much higher, even on packed trail with fresh snow, to a sled that runs in the 168 - 172 range mostly, with occasional 180 - 190 if in terrible conditions like dirt logging roads.

I had bled my sled a couple of times prior but to no avail! I learned to run scratchers and run all of my shocks on 1, to help lower sled but still had overheating problems compared to other Sidewinders.

Thanks to those on here with their great knowledgeable experiences, and for passing that on!

There were a few whose post I read, and I remember following Turboflash’s method I think!
I should also say this again. Prior to proper air displacement in my cooling system, when first starting my sled, it would simply climb very quickly. Now I can watch the temp rise slowly up to 167 or so, and then as the thermostat opens it will fall to 164 or so, and climb back up, but sooo slowly! It will do that more then once before heading into the 170s. When air bound, you would not see the thermostat changing the coolant temp, it would simply get to hot fast.

Back