• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Dalton clutching

Carpet Guy

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Yamaha sidewinder
Whats a good Hurricane tune set up I have a 35/39 helix with dalton springs

I also have a 35/39 reverse helix. I am running the Hurricane stock modified exhaust 270 tune. I just received the Turbo Dynamics clutch kit with both springs, HD rollers, and Dalton QAY 70 weights and after talking with them on the phone, they are suggesting I start off loading the weights to 74 grams. I am currently running the 8jp belt but may switch to the stock straight 35 degree helix and a xs825 belt. There certainly seems to be a lot of different combinations that are working for different people. I guess Its all just personal preference but no matter the setup, from what I understand, you want to be as close to the 8800 - 9100 rpms as possible as I believe that is were both TD and Hurricane build there power from what I understand.

I also have a 35/39 reverse helix. I am running the Hurricane stock modified exhaust 270 tune. I just received the Turbo Dynamics clutch kit with both springs, HD rollers, and Dalton QAY 70 weights and after talking with them on the phone, they are suggesting I start off loading the weights to 74 grams. I am currently running the 8jp belt but may switch to the stock straight 35 degree helix and a xs825 belt. There certainly seems to be a lot of different combinations that are working for different people. I guess Its all just personal preference but no matter the setup, from what I understand, you want to be as close to the 8800 - 9100 rpms as possible as I believe that is were both TD and Hurricane build there power from what I understand.
I have never ran a reverse angle helix,so I don't know about them,but if you run your 35 stocker and the xs825 belt w/that tune you may want 73 plus grams of weight,to start and I bet your rpms will be close to 9000.

just my .05cents but I think you'll have a much easier time dialing in your clutching if you go back to a straight 35 helix. The reverse angle pulls rpms down as you get up to speed and this is amplified using dalton weights vs stock weights. I find the reverse angle to be more sensitive to changes in snow conditions, weather etc and proper weight location in the daltons becomes critical to not cause too low of a peak rpm. It can be done for sure but if you want to spend minimal time tuning and more time riding and likely have a more consistant setup the 35 will get you there

just my .05cents but I think you'll have a much easier time dialing in your clutching if you go back to a straight 35 helix. The reverse angle pulls rpms down as you get up to speed and this is amplified using dalton weights vs stock weights. I find the reverse angle to be more sensitive to changes in snow conditions, weather etc and proper weight location in the daltons becomes critical to not cause too low of a peak rpm. It can be done for sure but if you want to spend minimal time tuning and more time riding and likely have a more consistant setup the 35 will get you there
Thanks I was thinking of going back with stock helix and any idea where I should set the spring to

Thanks I was thinking of going back with stock helix and any idea where I should set the spring to
l am currently working on that right now with my sled so I dont have any solid advise to give you. Are you running 8jp belt or ultimax? I know with the ultimax I'm gonna start at 3-3 with yamaha yellow spring but you mentioned you had dalton springs.....is it the black/orange? I believe guys are running that at 6-1 or 6-2. If your using the 8jp and a big tune Ive read guys are going with pretty stout springs to reduce the slipping. If you dont have an infared temp gun Id recommend picking one up, they can be had for cheap and better than sticking your hands on clutches to gauge temp. It'll take a little testing to find the the sweet spot where your happy with backshift and upshift characteristics and good clutch temps. Everyone has their own preference.

Dumb question but does the 35/39 reverse helix start at 39 degrees and finish at 35?

Dumb question but does the 35/39 reverse helix start at 39 degrees and finish at 35?

Nope, it starts at 35 and goes to 39.

Reverse helix is just that, backwards from normal.

Back