• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Clutching for corner to corner

snowdust

TY 4 Stroke Guru
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Sidewinder
I'm starting this year gearing up to 22t on top and sticking with dalton clutching. (37/35 helix) Running a viper primary and mostly the 300hp tune. I expect that to be a bit faster than the stock gearing. That said I bought cat gears and plan to switch over mid year to see how they compare. I'd like to change clutching at that time as well. Not looking for this setup to be the fastest... just as snappy as possible. You can find most clutch setups used right now so I'd pick up a set if anyone thinks one setup is more snappy than the next. I do have a 33/35 helix from Thunder products I never used. I see Bill Mohr uses a reverse angle helix as well. Not sure if that is really the way to go or not. Not sure what helix Ulmer is using. Thoughts?

Here is my 5 cents in response to your quest...

Gearing up to a 22t will make you faster everywhere, but will cost you some snap or the quick response your after. The lower initial angle 33/35 will offer better response, as the shallower helix will spool/light up faster. Adding more tension/stiffer spring in secondary will yield better backshift, spool up, and snap. Bigger rollers in the primary will also improve snap, spool up, but will provide less belt grip. This may be ok with lower gears, but taller gears will introduce belt slip and more heat in the clutches.

Just my opinion.

Last edited:
I hadn't thought about changing the rollers. I'm running the dalton B/O @ 90 currently in the secondary with good results. I am wondering if there is a better weight profile for a snappier setup than the Daltons. Also wondering if a larger reverse angle would be better or maybe that 33/35 is ideal. That would be nice since I already have it.

I’m just starting the year geared up to see if it is faster. Then I’ll change to the lower cat gearing and I’d like to see how snappy it can be and not worry about how fast it is overall. Which ever setup I like better I’ll keep.

I can say a lower helix is NOT going to spoil faster or shift faster. A higher helix like 39-45 straight is what you want corner to corner.

Which 300hp tune?
I run hurricane 300hp super spool header tune with wide band 02 module.
This tune is a rocket corner to corner.
For me its more like gas it off the corner and half way down the straight to the next corner let off so you can make it thru the next corner.
I would recommend a call to Thunder products clutching for your setup. They have helped me out.

Back