• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

dealer hinted at news of a 900 Phazer

LazyBastard said:
You're bent on excessive power. MOST PEOPLE don't want all that power. I sure as hell don't want all the power that my sled has. The only reason I bought it is because it was time to replace my old sled ('87 Exciter), and this was the ONLY THING AVAILABLE (because EVERY other sled on the market was CRAP). Honestly, for me, and a LOT of other people, the perfect setup would be THIS CHASSIS (RX1) with a 100hp 600 twin 4stroke. That would make a nice lightweight sled with decent performance. The 500 engine is just a little too small.
>>>>
You basically have that already, with the vector 118 h.p. dyno'd & 88 ft. lbs from the factory. You want something that's "barely" less than what they have already ????? That don't make much sense to me ? Why not detune the tripple a bit down to 100 h.p. , then you couod have this motor in the phazer with three options, 100 h.p. / 125 h.p. and 150 h.p. all in the chassis of the Phazer. "In the Phazer chassis" , definetly not the RX-1 chassis as you mentioned. That seems like a backward step, go to a 100 h.p. twin in the RX-1 chassis ? You lost me there. Maybe the triple in the Apex chasis if it was lightened up considerably. "Power hungry" , kind of, just would like to see the yamaha sleds with equal weight to H.p. ratio's, which isn't out of reach!!!!

Lazy bastard not get off the topic here but the vector is not a gut less pig it's yamaha's gutless clutching.A well clutched vecotr will take any stock rx1 and some clutched one's too.

Want more hp. buy a different sled. I believe the 80hp. for the Phazer is a good number. Not to big or to small. You can't please everyone.....

I for one will buy a Phazer for what it offers, maybe a few small changes, personalize it a bit as it were, not a perfect sled but a nice offering.

If they offer a larger size motor I'm sure some will want that, Yamaha has the future and there doing a good job.

maha said:
Want more hp. buy a different sled. I believe the 80hp. for the Phazer is a good number. Not to big or to small. You can't please everyone.....

I for one will buy a Phazer for what it offers, maybe a few small changes, personalize it a bit as it were, not a perfect sled but a nice offering.

If they offer a larger size motor I'm sure some will want that, Yamaha has the future and there doing a good job.
>>>>
well said I think it's worlds ahead of anything the other manufacturer's can come up with in the four stroke realm. I think it would be awesome to have the Phazer chasis with a couple engine combinations though, that would meet alot more people's needs, offering three different H.p. numbers for that chasis. just a thought. I too will buy one for my wife as my signature says , though I'm not sure yet if it will be a GT or the Mt. version. I'll have to see them and have her sit on them to decide. If Hartman or MPI makes an extension kit that will work properly for the GT to go with a 128x14 or even 136x14 down the road that would be an ideal ladies sled for on and off trail. (my wife's just a little thing) Then I could ride it around too :) something to play on when I didn't want to bring out the big iron. The next few years are going to be incredible for all of us Yamaha guys.....That I can guarantee ! OH and gutless ....LMAO , yeah right, heavy it is, but gutless it's far from!

pro116 said:
Lazy bastard not get off the topic here but the vector is not a gut less pig it's yamaha's gutless clutching.A well clutched vecotr will take any stock rx1 and some clutched one's too.
In terms of power per displacement when compared to ANY of their other 4-stroke sled engines, it very obviously IS.

And as for your claim that it will take a stock rx1... thats because rx1 lacks TRACTION, not power. Too much power for the traction will actually take off SLOWER than *just right* since it will sit on spot spinning stupidly until it can actually hook up.

I also asked the Rep if they would bump the 500 up to a 600 and get close to 100hp,as we know it could be done.He responded that Yami doesn't want to over burden their Dealers with to many different models like the other manufacturers have.

I think it will be a triple,but something lower revving like the Vector motor so they can race snowcross with it.

LazyBastard said:
pro116 said:
In terms of power per displacement when compared to ANY of their other 4-stroke sled engines, it very obviously IS.

And as for your claim that it will take a stock rx1... thats because rx1 lacks TRACTION, not power. Too much power for the traction will actually take off SLOWER than *just right* since it will sit on spot spinning stupidly until it can actually hook up.

I think it is safe to say that yamaha will be upgrading the 3 cyl. vector engine in the not so distant future. I put 2200 miles on my rage with this engine and it is a super engine huge low end ! If they tweak it like thay did the 4 Cyl. with EFI and cut the weight alittle. WOW. That being said I dont think it will show up in the phazer frame. A high reving EFI light twin like the 500 that is being put in the phazer but biger for the guys who like insane power to weight. From what I have been told the phazer is a real hoot to drive, and that with a 500 4 stroke. Who would of thought that this is what we would be seeing from yamaha sevaral years ago. Just think what is up ahead. I think the phazer is the perfect entry leval sled for yamaha and next will be the exciter for the guys who are somewhere inbetween. how cool would a exciter mountian lite be!

First of all, the Phazer engine is NOT, i repeat, is NOT based on two YZ250F engines. It's more or less a RX1/R1 engine cut in half, that is, a superbike based engine. The only thing that's based on the YZ250F engine is the marketing. At least according to the people at MCXpress and i would guess that they know what they're talking about..

This makes it rather unlikely (though not impossible) that we'll see a 900cc twin on the market. But a Phazer based triple at 750cc would easily make 120+ hp while probably weighting in at quite a few pounds lighter then the RS engine. And a say 25-30 lbs heavier Phazer would fit in very well in the 600cc/120hp class. Then put a Turbo on it, 200+ reliable hp at around 500 lbs. Sounds good in my ears.

Laban said:
First of all, the Phazer engine is NOT, i repeat, is NOT based on two YZ250F engines. It's more or less a RX1/R1 engine cut in half, that is, a superbike based engine. The only thing that's based on the YZ250F engine is the marketing. At least according to the people at MCXpress and i would guess that they know what they're talking about..

Hmmm...
Apex's Bore & Stroke: 74.0 x 58.0 mm
Phazer's: 77.0 x 53.6 mm
YZ250F's: 77.0 x 53.6mm

Maybe they just bored out that R1 engine to 77.0 and cut the stroke down by 4.4mm and it just so happened to be the same as a YZ250F

Why would MC Xpress make a claim like that??

Auskins said:
Laban said:

Hmmm...
Apex's Bore & Stroke: 74.0 x 58.0 mm
Phazer's: 77.0 x 53.6 mm
YZ250F's: 77.0 x 53.6mm

Maybe they just bored out that R1 engine to 77.0 and cut the stroke down by 4.4mm and it just so happened to be the same as a YZ250F

Why would MC Xpress make a claim like that??
>>>>
LMAO.......can't argue with that now can you ? Doesn't Yamaha have a 600cc super bike engine like the R-1 ? If they do that seems to be the next logical step for the upgrade, perhaps some massaging of the 600 would make the 600 class 120 h.p. everyone seems to want ? I still think they should put something with atleast 140 h.p. in this chassis and a 162x14 track for all of us Mnt. riders, a cam change and a bit more compression and the RS engine is at 150 h.p. sounds like a winner to me, then comes the factory turbo for the 180 h.p. mach Z killer. But that's just my dreams...LOL. Good point on the bore and stroke, seems pretty conclusive to me. :drink:

LMAO.......can't argue with that now can you ?

Of course i can :)

Yamaha R1 Bore & Stroke: 77 x 53.6mm.

And how often do you need to do maintanence (valve adjustments f.e) on a Phazer vs a YZ250F ? That by itself should tell you something about the engine.