• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Deep into "Enemy Territory"

snowsweat

Pro
I recently visited Valcourt with my 2005 Rage and rode with some of the Skidoo engineers. There were four of us switching sleds back and forth between my Rage (seriously upgraded suspension, but completely stock powertrain), two 800R XP's and the new 1200 4 stroke.

The 800R XP is very intense; light and powerful with great steering and suspension characteristics. Not sure if I'd buy one (two-stroke longevity and all) but definitely an awesome rental. Very comfy and easy to go fast on. I was reluctant to give it back, despite the harsh sounding engine and typical big bore parallel twin vibes.

The new 1200 is very well done. Sounds great (quite like Yamaha's triple 4 strokes) and handles quite well, although not on par with the 800 XP, but certainly light years better than pre-Nytro Yamaha's. This sled will open some eyes due to its good suspension and relatively light weight. The Nytro has some very credible competition here.
I found that the power was a bit more abrupt (in contrast to the very linear power of the 973 Yamaha triple) but certainly abundant. Oddly enough, it felt more like an 03 RX-1 than a 973 triple. However, my Rage was definitely faster on the trails than the 1200, probably as a result of the suspension upgrades and more linear powerband (letting the rider put more power down earlier). With one of the faster BRP guys on my sled and me chasing him on an 800R, I was amazed how hard I had to push the 800 to keep up to my Rage. Undoubtedly, the 800R is a faster trail sled, but the difference is less than the difference between riders. At the end of the ride, the BRP engineers were surprised to find out that it was a 120 hp triple rather than the 140 hp four cylinder.

If the 1200 Doo is as reliable as most Rotax 4-strokes, things could get interesting.

ok snowsweat i saw the rage in another post, what the heck kind of suspension is that? is it for hill climbing?

how much are you selling it for? i prefer the sit down trail riding, but i usually find myself having to stand to cross the rough sections of trail that are all moguls by the end of the day

I've only built two prototypes of this version. I have an updated design in the works that will be lighter and easier to adjust. When I build it (probably over the summer), I may decide to sell a few copies. If you are not too far away, you are more than welcome to try it out.

Back